tips and tricks anyone?

cowboyup

Any tips or tricks that you've learned over the years that make your life (or work, relationship, etc.) helpful?

I am currently working as a housekeeper in a clinic/hospital setting and it's all new to me and was observing other housekeepers who've been doing it for years and how fast and efficient they are at their job. I feel so slow. I am sure it'll come with time, but I want to know their 'secret', lol. Of course, being shy, I don't feel I can't go up to them and ask.

this doesn't have to be strictly for housekeeping, it can be just sharing some useful info we have picked up along the way in this thing called life :)

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Any new job takes time to become proficient at it. So keep that in mind.

When I start a new job the things I try to do (because I want to become good at whatever I'm doing too) are, focus on what I'm doing. Don't be distracted by things going on around you, or your phone etc.

Observe what others who are good at their job are doing and consider if thats a better way of doing things.

And... ask for advice. I know you said you're shy, but at least in the work place you have a reason to talk to people. you will have a direct question. Say 'thanks' then you can get back to working without the need for conversation.

It's what I do at any job I've had. And don't worry, I get nervous asking for advice/help too. :)

Lionhearted

I don't know if everyone has this 'problem' regarding self-consciousness, but I've learned a good way in which you can make use of it.

So not only am I self-conscious most of the time(especially in newer environments), I also have this tendency to notice really small and seemingly 'discreet' things in the environment(maybe because I judge a lot). But as of late, I've been quite successful in using my self-conscious 'alertness' to notice things in the surroundings, and as a result, I've become more 'perceptive'.

This has helped me a lot, and at the same time, I do tend to notice things which are best left... well, unnoticed. What I mean is, try to use your observation skills to the maximum! It's definitely surprising as to how much useful it can become in certain situations. Just as Adrian Monk had put it, it's both a gift and a curse.

What else? Maybe I'd try recommending to hide your anxiety completely. Of course, it's not like anyone tries to voluntarily express one's anxiety, but I've always felt like I'm more confident, when I try to forget that anxiety is boiling inside me, during instances like presentations. Just keep on thinking of stuff that makes you feel elated, or just about anything which distracts you from the anxiety. Talking about that...

Whenever you're feeling depressed, just let your mind flow freely, and only think of the things which you like. Getting rid of thoughts such as hopelessness will just get you more depressed - so try to picture your most enthusiastic hobby and/or interests in your mind. As of late, I've been doing only things which I like(and not force myself to do things which I really hate), and it's been really helpful. I don't even give a care in the world about the depressing moments in life, because it's all past.

What's important is that you keep on going, and just view everything optimistically, and try your best to achieve what you hope to achieve. It's all very interesting to put into action, once you finally decide to do so. Here, I'll leave a good quote which I once came across:

"Forget yesterday—it has already forgotten you. Don't sweat tomorrow—you haven't even met. Instead, open your eyes and your heart to a truly precious gift—today." - Steve Maraboli

I got this from dictionary.com, where there are quotes aplenty. Reading just one of them can change your day.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Good advice from Pugofcrydee and Lionhearted, I would add some things to remember:

No one is good when doing something for the first time;
If you make a mistake, or have a bad day, don't be too hard on yourself: Today won't matter in a couple of years;
Do the best you can, and if in the end you fail (get fired), you will still have learned, it's not wasted.

Sacrament

I guess everything's already been said. What works best for me is not being immediately cynical (assuming people will judge you, or be douchebags in general), acknowledging that it's okay not to know everything, and always being open to new things while at the same time being present to fully experience them. An open heart (towards others, yourself, and life) always defeats one that you've purposely shut.