Thinking about getting therapy

xLindziex

I don't know what to expect though. Heck, but that's only if I can successfully bring up the topic with my mom. She's against medications and doctors for the most part and thinks anything and everything has a natural cure or is just part of someone's personality and they shouldn't try to change.

But the thing is, I WANT to change. Next year will be my senior year at high school and I don't want to spend it like I have the last three years; I don't want to wait on the side lines and watch how all my other "friends" can talk so easily and hear about how they hang out all the time outside of school.

I know it won't be easy, but this isn't something I want interfering with my life. I want to major in business management or the like when I go to college, but it would be a little challenging with the current situation.

I'm sorry, got a little off trail... nervous, I guess?

I just want it to end though. So, my main question is: how does therapy work for those who had experience? When I think of therapy, all I think of is the stereotypical description of it. But if it were really like that, then I wouldn't need it. But I do and I'm ready to get it done with.

This has been on my mind for quite sometime, and I want to finally do something about it. I hate living with it and the sooner my problems are gone, the better, right?

agoraphobickatie

i think therapy can be different for everyone.. you have to find someone who wants to help you help yourself, ya know what i mean? my therapist has really been amazing and has always worked with me rather than just diagnose some problem and hand me a book or something. she's not even a doctor, just a therapist who works for some place sponsored by a church or something.. anyway, your attitude about it all is really important. and it seems like you're on the right track. you have to really want to commit to working on changing. it's not always easy or fun, but as long as you have some hope that you can be better, you can really do it! i never realized how much 'staying positive' can really help you, but i see so many people who just feel bad about themselves and stay hopeless and that doesn't make any of your problems go away or make them easier..

as far as talking to your mom.. just let her know how important it is for you to feel more comfortable. no one wants to feel lonely and depressed, she shouldn't want you to feel that way either. therapy doesn't always mean medication, it is the natural way to overcome your stresses/anxiety.. best wishes to you :)

xLindziex

i think therapy can be different for everyone.. you have to find someone who wants to help you help yourself, ya know what i mean? my therapist has really been amazing and has always worked with me rather than just diagnose some problem and hand me a book or something. she's not even a doctor, just a therapist who works for some place sponsored by a church or something.. anyway, your attitude about it all is really important. and it seems like you're on the right track. you have to really want to commit to working on changing. it's not always easy or fun, but as long as you have some hope that you can be better, you can really do it! i never realized how much 'staying positive' can really help you, but i see so many people who just feel bad about themselves and stay hopeless and that doesn't make any of your problems go away or make them easier..

as far as talking to your mom.. just let her know how important it is for you to feel more comfortable. no one wants to feel lonely and depressed, she shouldn't want you to feel that way either. therapy doesn't always mean medication, it is the natural way to overcome your stresses/anxiety.. best wishes to you :)

Thank you so much. I definitely want to get better. I'm hoping when I do look for a therapist, it's not complicated or anything.

I may wait 'til after the holiday weekend to tell her seeing how she's out of town the rest of the week.

agoraphobickatie

Thank you so much. I definitely want to get better. I'm hoping when I do look for a therapist, it's not complicated or anything.

I may wait 'til after the holiday weekend to tell her seeing how she's out of town the rest of the week.

sounds good! the best thing she can do for you is be there to support you, let her know you need that.. surely she'll have some understanding :) my dad still doesn't fully understand my anxiety or what's going on in my head, but he does know that i struggle and find it really difficult to deal with so he does whatever he can to listen and help.. i'm really lucky that both of my parents have been great supports for me.

mismeek

GO for it! I mean you have nothing to lose!

I love my therapy and my therapist.. its a place to get stuff off your chest.. and i really think it works!!

xLindziex

sounds good! the best thing she can do for you is be there to support you, let her know you need that.. surely she'll have some understanding :) my dad still doesn't fully understand my anxiety or what's going on in my head, but he does know that i struggle and find it really difficult to deal with so he does whatever he can to listen and help.. i'm really lucky that both of my parents have been great supports for me.

I'm sure she'll be supportive, just a little iffy. My dad, he may or may not be. He struggles with it too, but deals with it in a different way.

Honestly getting excited about doing something about this problem =)

xLindziex

GO for it! I mean you have nothing to lose!

I love my therapy and my therapist.. its a place to get stuff off your chest.. and i really think it works!!

Yeah, my mind doesn't seem to shut up sometimes, so I'm sure there will be a lot of cleaning out to do lol.

xLindziex

I recently talked to my mom about getting a therapist. She says we can look into it, which makes me happy.

Now I just have to convince myself that I am able to do it. Which may be a little more challenging than I had in mind.

I'd say go for it. At first I was also VERY doubtful that a therapist could be off assistance to me, but it's definitely worth it. He/she can help you view things differently.

Usually you'll start a session with something as a simple as ''Hi' and ''How are you doing?''. It's best to answer honestly, even though that might be a little uncomfortable at times. From there he/she will ask you questions, and talk to you until they have a good picture of you. Then they'll make suggestions on how to improve your situation. What exactly differs by therapist and patient. Though, fret not, this all is most likely separated over many different sessions. It's a healing process, so there's no need to rush it too quickly. ;)