They just don't get it do they?

I just wanted to share this experience with people with SA. My friend and I went out to eat diner with my dad. While we were there this girl who was an acquaintance of mine came up out of nowhere and started talking to me. She was trying to gossip and I really didn't want to. I was really freaked out and stuttering. She kept asking me why I was acting weird and being nervous. All of a sudden she left in a really rude way. Afterwards my dad told me I was really rude to the girl. He said that I acted like I really didn't want to be talking to the girl and that I looked uncomfortable. I broke down and cried because I really couldn't help it. I can't help that I look tense and scared when talking to people. Me and my dad got in a big fight about it. He was shocked that I didn't now how rude I was being. I really didn't think I was being rude but w/e. Ever had this happen to you?

Thanks for sharing.

hapt

Dont be so hard on yourself. Its happened to me a lot when in my younger years. I'm now 27 and just 2 weeks back I was visiting my parents when and my cousin was there, and after he left, I got another 'lecture' about my lack of manner for not always looking at my cousin when he talked with me. I get anxious around him since I only like see him once or twince a year.
The funny thing is, my mother *knows* about my anxiety. And she still acts this way :) I lost hope trying to make her understand. I think deep down inside she just think I make this up, or because I just lack manners or whatever. But its okay, I no longer really care about my parent's judgements.
If you can have an honest and open conversation with your parents about this, I suggest doing so. It gives a feeling of liberation of sorts, even if the only people who'll really understand you are the ones who face this thing dailly like you do, every day of their lives.

proudmummy

my mum embarrassingly said "i'll just talk for you then, ok?" then started answering questions for me once because I couldnt get my words out properly to explain something. Not cos of shyness but because I was having "one of those days" where you feel too tired to think/speak properly.
I'm also someone who KNOWS i'm not looking at the person when talking. I find it so uncomfortable when people can just stare you in the eyes, which I do look people in the eyes alot but I end up turning away thinking "OK THATS SCARY" lol. I was talking to someone the other day and I just thought to myself, "your eyes look really weird, lady" lol so decided to do my turn away thang!

_Brittany_

I know how you feel! that happens to me a lot..it sucks!

and your right, they just don't get it!

Social_Moth

Chod77 said:
I just wanted to share this experience with people with SA. My friend and I went out to eat diner with my dad. While there his girl who was an acquaintance of mine came up out of nowhere and started talking to me. She was trying to gossip and I really didn't want to. I was really freaked out and stuttering. She kept asking me why I was acting weird and being nervous. All of a sudden she left in a really rude way. Afterwards my dad told me I was really rude to the girl. He said that I acted like I really didn't want to be talking to the girl and that I looked uncomfortable. I broke down and cried because I really couldn't help it. I can't help that I look tense and scared when talking to people. Me and my dad got in a big fight about it. He was shocked that I didn't now how rude I was being. I really didn't think I was being rude but w/e. Ever had this happen to you?

Thanks for sharing.

I admire that, actually. You didn't pretend to care about the stupid shit she was trying to gossip about.

Stay honest.

CPA23

I can totally relate to this situation. It is really bad when someone you have not seen in a long time appears out of nowhere and gets right in your face and starts talking. Most of the time, I feel overwhelmed and try to keep a safe distance. I just have to have my space and eye contact will be minimal at best.

recluse

I'm sorry to hear that chod. I can't believe how ignorant people can be in thinking that we are rude! And that girl sounds like a whore anyway, she was rude in asking ''why are you acting so weird'' a real polite person would not point something like that out and put you at ease.

miss_amy

I've had this too. I forced myself to go to a party with someone who was trying to drag me out.. I was so nervous and anxious. She introduced me to her mum. I did my best to do the niceties and be polite but the next day my friend said that her mum thought I didn't like her. I must have looked obvious that I didn't want to talk and I thought I did so well.

recluse

It reminds me of when my sister's first serious boyfriend came to stay about ten years ago. He was quiet and seemed really nervous and at that time i didn't understand anything about social phobia but i felt sad for him because i know what it feels like being shy. My grandmother and my parents kept saying how quiet he was and that he was strange, and looking back now he probably was social phobic just like i am now. It hurts me to think how people percieve me, and other people probably talk about me in a negative manner just as my parents and grandmother did to my sisters ex boyfriend.

Predacon

Yeah I've had that happen a couple times. Its funny when i think back onit , I always think I'm being very polite. But then someone say I looked disinterested even when I was listening to what they were saying.

recluse said:
I'm sorry to hear that chod. I can't believe how ignorant people can be in thinking that we are rude! And that girl sounds like a whore anyway, she was rude in asking ''why are you acting so weird'' a real polite person would not point something like that out and put you at ease.

I KNOW!!! Thats what I said! Also when she came up to us she sat on my friend. She was a whore.