these forums good or bad?

lovely222

I was just wondering how many others are thinking the same as me.

I use to come to this site or a similar one =/ when i first started suffering i came across while doing the usual research online.

i would say that i never got much from users on a one to one basis but one post changed my life. It was a link to another site. just a ex suffering telling his story and giving useful advice.

however about a week ago i thought i would come back and try and do what the 'USER' did and help maybe give some advice etc.

But what i have found that even though i am in recovery as i call it and leading pretty much the life i had before i started suffering.. since i have been on this site and posting and this may sound stupid almost anxious and finding that i am thinking of the 'PAST' alot more.

so really my question is... when you get to a certain point in the recovery phase is it the best thing to leave the forums alone??
ive never given in much thought as to be honest although i think about my sa and panic attacks everyday BUT forum like this really does drag up some bad memories.

has anyone else experienced this? im starting to think the best way to deal with this disorder is almost to forget about it.

ok truthfully the hard hitting question is does anyone agree that sometimes sufferers are almost tooooo keen to may a bigger issue out of the disorder and in some cases you find some posts are almost a competition as to who has recovered better or who suffers worst, and are almost counter productive where suffers are almost trading a possible road to recovery to remain within the excepting 'clicks' where there social interaction online depends on you suffering with the very disorder that you once originally came to get help to over come.

i wont deny and i commend these sites for giving people like me and you a place to see ' Your not the only one'
i guess i maybe the only one although i doubt that cannot work out why we still even though we far down the recovery line feel the need to keep returning. is it because even though we are recovered we still can shake the secruity blanket of im a sufferer almost using it as an excuse.

THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO OFFEND ANYONE ON THIS SITE. =D:confused:

D

deleted user 1

I fully understand your rational, it's logical that you will eventually outgrow these resources should you follow every step of your recovery to it's completion. Whether or not that means leaving for good? That's subjective.

lovely222

o i totally agree with the it being subjective.

I was just wondering whether anyone else just cant work out why they keep returning.

hence the fact im still posting :D

B

Beatrice

Just speaking from my own point of view.... I like these forums. I mean, I don't find them depressing at all; quite the opposite. I find it encouraging that others are similar to me because I feel as if we're all in this together... whether that's an illusion or not (more than likely it is), oh well. I think it's a great place to vent, make "friends" of sorts. Even if I did "beat" this disorder I would probably still come here.

D

deleted user 1

If I could develop a real social life outside of the net, I probably wouldn't frequent these forums so often, or any forum for that matter. But then, I have the other dilemma. I've built myself around my interests and goals rather than people, so I'm terrified of anything interferring with that, so I'm in a catch twenty-two situation, lol.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

It's all a matter of perspective and how you "use" it. So yeah it's subjective really. Just like anything in life. One person may get more depressed here, another the opposite. Some may use this place as a surrogate for RL which would be bad. It's how you use it.

There's just lots of good stuff to be had here, why I return... "friends" yeah, speaking with ppl online, you can develop friendships, it's not RL no, but it's something. I get more inspired then not coming here; it's helped me a bit... I know others too. I'd keep using it I am in control of my issues and try to help others however could.

lovely222

It's all a matter of perspective and how you "use" it. So yeah it's subjective really. Just like anything in life. One person may get more depressed here, another the opposite. Some may use this place as a surrogate for RL which would be bad. It's how you use it.

There's just lots of good stuff to be had here, why I return... "friends" yeah, speaking with ppl online, you can develop friendships, it's not RL no, but it's something. I get more inspired then not coming here; it's helped me a bit... I know others too. I'd keep using it I am in control of my issues and try to help others however could.

i suppose im just that typical.. IVE BEEN THERE SO I NO IT ALL lol:D

i totally agree with it almost each to there own.

megalon

I know what you mean. I was doing very well with recovery for about a year, and during that time I didn't want anything to remind me of my anxiety. If I thought about it at all I would get really depressed. I didn't visit this site at all during that time. Lately I've sorta relapsed a bit, thus I am back to this forum. It not for this forum however, I would never have started my journey to recovery in the first place.

lovely222

I know what you mean. I was doing very well with recovery for about a year, and during that time I didn't want anything to remind me of my anxiety. If I thought about it at all I would get really depressed. I didn't visit this site at all during that time. Lately I've sorta relapsed a bit, thus I am back to this forum. It not for this forum however, I would never have started my journey to recovery in the first place.

Im like that i dont want a reminded, i think it is very ironic though that im back here days before my first interview to go back to work.

OOOO maybe it's me looking for a secruity blanket lol::p:

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Im like that i dont want a reminded, i think it is very ironic though that im back here days before my first interview to go back to work.

OOOO maybe it's me looking for a secruity blanket lol::p:

A lot of us may come here for that - if we dont have the support in RL some come for support. And... the support here can be very good, it's motivated me and helped me through times with ppl I've gotten to know better here.

It just cant be a substitute for RL. And you can have both online/offline lives/friends... but *IF this place starts making me more depressed or is halting my progress by using it as my substitute for my RL or it becomes my only social outlet or online in general - and thus I'm getting "worse" not "better" - I would leave... others have done that for those reasons. But yeah it ain't. =)

BashfulDoll

You've posed a good question! Not being on here I've gotten a job and am going back to college. This site helped me in that, okay; I know there are ppl like me and I can either wallow in misery [which can be comforting] or I can somehow believe that I am worth more than i know and owe it to myself to get what I want out of life. [basically be more selfish]

Deus_Ex_Lemur

You've posed a good question! Not being on here I've gotten a job and am going back to college. This site helped me in that, okay; I know there are ppl like me and I can either wallow in misery [which can be comforting] or I can somehow believe that I am worth more than i know and owe it to myself to get what I want out of life. [basically be more selfish]

Whoa, that's not selfish at all! I mean you can make it selfish... but we all deserve to live our lives; and are worth more than we may give ourselves credit for. Wallowing in self misery is the selfish bit, for that does nothing for anyone else or yourself. =) :)

BashfulDoll

Whoa, that's not selfish at all! I mean you can make it selfish... but we all deserve to live our lives; and are worth more than we may give ourselves credit for. Wallowing in self misery is the selfish bit, for that does nothing for anyone else or yourself. =) :)

well thanks! for the longest i've felt not good enough so why try. then i guess something snapped and i decided i wanted more for myself. you have to care about youself bcos no else will [my sister told me that] and its so true sadly.

When I first found this site early this year, I was all over all of the threads. It's been almost five months and I've already backed off on my involvement with this site. Most of the time, I just post in the game and miscellaneous threads. I feel like I've gotten most of the information that I need to help myself. I'm sticking around because I love talking to y'all and I want to be there to help any of the newbies here who may need it.

Bustn Justin

I like going on the forums to read and share others' experiences so that we can help each ohter out. The posts on here have helped me be more comfortable with myself and that I can be social with others.

Kiwong

I used to be a member of a knee injury site. When my knee go better I no longer visited.

This site a little different because it not only about SA, there are threads, advice and posters that seem to trascend all that. For example the exercise thread. There are threads about living, not all are about this disease.

Snowbal

That depends i guess. I find it very helpfull because i want to help myself and reach out to people who kinda fighting the same battle.