The super-obvious method to dissolving social anxiety

Feathers

CBT and some other approaches focus strongly on the connection between thoughts and feelings...
It was helpful for me to read The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr Burns - to understand this connection better...

For someone, replacing 'negative' thought with 'positive/upbeat/different' may do the trick, others need to 'work on it' a bit more... eg write down or draw to even figure out the negative beliefs... and then 'combat' with statements to question validity of those 'negative' beliefs...

If you might have a health condition just changing thoughts may not be enough - eg someone with celiac needs to change nutrition... Personally I found that eg after eating tuna or other omega 3 rich foods my thoughts changed for the better too!! :)

ohheybbyitscorixx

Think about it, Love is an emotion for a example. To feel love don't we have to at some point think about the person we love? The more time we spend with this person the more times we think about this person the stronger our love gets. So from that example you can see how thinking, (thoughts) put us in an emotional state (Love, Happines)

another example with rage this time.

I'm standing in a long line at a store wating to be served, a guy cuts in front of me. I say "hey! get to the back of the line" he responds with a string of foul mouthed obscenities. I have to process that information and think about how I am going to react to it. Let's say I do nothing cause he is far to big for me to "take" I might go about the rest of the day in really agressive mood and pissed off full of rage because I could not do anything about the guy who cut in front of me.

The thought = emotion, comes into play in this scenareo when you decide to let your thoughts return to the event in your mind and then become angry as a result.

The feeling of love is chemical. I guess I'm just one of those people that believe we, as complex beings, cannot just have one variable for something so complex. I believe thoughts can have an influence on feelings, but is not what truly makes them. Most emotional problems are a long term feeling of negative emotions. If thoughts are responsible for healing that, then that would mean thoughts are responsible for causing it. I just do not believe that to be true, at least with most people. That really is equal to "Oh, just do ______, and you will be better. But if you are not better, you are not trying ______ enough." People will make said solution sound more complex by saying "But it's not easy!" It's a way for people to blame those suffering, who have not gotten better, for their own problems. Humans, as a whole, seem to not like to admit they do not know a cause/cure for any problem. All I'm saying is what works for a few people, may not work for the majority. But it's still worth a shot.

ohheybbyitscorixx

CBT and some other approaches focus strongly on the connection between thoughts and feelings...
It was helpful for me to read The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr Burns - to understand this connection better...

For someone, replacing 'negative' thought with 'positive/upbeat/different' may do the trick, others need to 'work on it' a bit more... eg write down or draw to even figure out the negative beliefs... and then 'combat' with statements to question validity of those 'negative' beliefs...

If you might have a health condition just changing thoughts may not be enough - eg someone with celiac needs to change nutrition... Personally I found that eg after eating tuna or other omega 3 rich foods my thoughts changed for the better too!! :)

That therapy did not work for me. But, I have found that instead of trying to focus on positive thoughts, just accepting my negative thoughts works wonders. I have become almost a new person, instead of trying to focus on being "normal". PS-A huge percentage of my anxiety has been downsized by stopping or limiting caffeine intake. :p

The feeling of love is chemical. I guess I'm just one of those people that believe we, as complex beings, cannot just have one variable for something so complex. I believe thoughts can have an influence on feelings, but is not what truly makes them. Most emotional problems are a long term feeling of negative emotions. If thoughts are responsible for healing that, then that would mean thoughts are responsible for causing it. I just do not believe that to be true, at least with most people
Here's my newly-created take on thoughts & feelings.

What CREATES/TRIGGERS feelings:
- chemicals & electrical impulses in the brain (between neurons)
- thoughts (in "forebrain" --> triggers emotions/feelings in "amygdala")
- experiences (input from 5 sense organs; processed by "sensory cortex")
- memories (of experiences; stored in "hippocampus")

It's a standard view, that there are such things as "thoughts" and "feelings", and are distictly separate things, but who knows, maybe feelings are simply a type of thought??? (or vice-versa)

ohheybbyitscorixx

Here's my newly-created take on thoughts & feelings.

What CREATES/TRIGGERS feelings:
- chemicals & electrical impulses in the brain (between neurons)
- thoughts (in "forebrain" --> triggers emotions/feelings in "amygdala")
- experiences (input from 5 sense organs; processed by "sensory cortex")
- memories (of experiences; stored in "hippocampus")

It's a standard view, that there are such things as "thoughts" and "feelings", and are distictly separate things, but who knows, maybe feelings are simply a type of thought??? (or vice-versa)

Interesting. Now I have to ponder about this for a while >: D I love thinking about different ideas I haven't thought of before.