The Science Of Awkwardness

Kaekae

I came across this interesting Vsauce video which I think highlighted a few of my issues.

I'm interested to see other people's views on this, especially the part regarding oxytocin and it's affect in anxiety and the part about protagonist disease.

Also, if anyone else has any links to any similar videos regarding anxiety then please share, I'd be interested in seeing others.

The Science Of Awkwardness

Someone else posted this before, interesting video.

I wish I could remember my reaction, I'll come back later and post a response :p

Megaten

Realizing that other people weren't thinking about me all the time was a tremendous load off and anxiety reducing. Mine stemmed from bullying so I was constantly worried of other people's negative impressions of me. This might apply very lightly to dating too but I dunno about that for sure haha.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I don't feel like I learned anything important from that video. But maybe it's just my brain who is unable to process the information at the moment.

I remember I found the vicarious embarrassment thing interesting because he says that it means you are more empathetic, NOT more easily embarrassed. I guess it's a fine distinction between the two, but I always thought that when someone felt embarrassed for another person in an awkward situation it meant they were more prone to being embarrassed themselves, but instead it actually just means they're more empathetic :thinking:

That's interesting because personally I can find watching another person go through something humiliating almost as painful as if it were happening to me - for example, watching some of those pranksters on Youtube. Sometimes they're so cringeworthy, and I'm not the one in the situation doing the prank and the person doing the prank doesn't feel self-conscious at all, but I still FEEL really embarrassed for the person doing the prank. Kind of strange if you think about it, especially since the person pranking doesn't give a crap at all and yet the viewer still feels that awkwardness.

Last edited:

Megaten

I remember I found the vicarious embarrassment thing interesting because he says that it means you are more empathetic, NOT more easily embarrassed. I guess it's a fine distinction between the two, but I always thought that when someone felt embarrassed for another person in an awkward situation it meant they were more prone to being embarrassed themselves, but instead it actually just means they're more empathetic :thinking:

That's interesting because personally I can find watching another person go through something humiliating almost as painful as if it were happening to me - for example, watching some of those pranksters on Youtube. Sometimes they're so cringeworthy, and I'm not the one in the situation doing the prank and the person doing the prank doesn't feel self-conscious at all, but I still FEEL really embarrassed for the person doing the prank. Kind of strange if you think about it, especially since the person pranking doesn't give a crap at all and yet the viewer still feels that awkwardness.

It's probably a combination of both. If someone's easily embarrassed it's probably because they're too aware of social faux pas. And be more likely to feel it when someone else is uncomfortable. I'll see it in the opposite a lot. Where a person is so outgoing that they seem to either not feel nor care if theyre making someone else feel awkward. Like here. This guy is having a blast but apparently his partner doesnt feel this is the best time to be dancing lol. So shes doing her best to ignore him but he seems totally oblivious to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybcNSoh8vI4

Kaekae

Yes, I agree. It is a fine line. I suppose it's because when you're watching someone going through something embarrassing you can imagine yourself in the same situation, perhaps feeling just as embarrassed as they are.