the in-between periods

lavender

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering, for those of you who have friends or are starting to make friends, how do you cope with that in between period? Where you don't have friends,but you're making friends, and trying not feel/sound like you don't have anyone in your life. Does that make sense?
I'm in this place right now and I have no idea what to do with it or handle it. I'm getting so much anxiety from the fact that I'm making friends and I dont want them to know that I have no other friends. I wish I could just lie to people and say I'm new in town or something. ugh :confused:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering, for those of you who have friends or are starting to make friends, how do you cope with that in between period? Where you don't have friends,but you're making friends, and trying not feel/sound like you don't have anyone in your life. Does that make sense?
I'm in this place right now and I have no idea what to do with it or handle it. I'm getting so much anxiety from the fact that I'm making friends and I dont want them to know that I have no other friends. I wish I could just lie to people and say I'm new in town or something. ugh :confused:
I'm guessing that feeling shame for not having friends will be prominent in your mind, and possibly panicky feelings about attempting to hide the fact that you have no friends. Those are the mistakes to watch out for.

Any friends worth half a crap aren't going to judge you on your popularity, but instead on how pleasant your company is with them.

Make no attempt to hide having no friends. Don't advertise it either--if asked, give some reason as close to the truth as you can. "I'm not a people person". "I don't get out much". That sort of thing.

Last edited:

razzle dazzle rose

I'm getting so much anxiety from the fact that I'm making friends and I dont want them to know that I have no other friends. I wish I could just lie to people and say I'm new in town or something. ugh :confused:

I am in the same place you are in, though I am not really meeting new people yet. I also wish I could just say I am new to town! That would be so cool 'cause I really have no excuse for not having friends since I have lived here all my life. Having said that, I already have a couple of "excuses" I can use if people were to ask: "all my girlfriends are married or have kids so they are too busy to hang out with me these days." It is not that far off from the truth either, and a lot of people can relate to it too. Just gonna keep it vague, and not flat out lie but not say the complete truth either which can overwhelm my new contacts.

OceanMist

My friends knew I didn't have any other friends. They know I'm shy, it's no secret.

I say if someone doesn't want to be friends with you because you don't have any friends, then they were going to be a bad friend anyway. Flip 'em. Let them be materialistic and worry about what society thinks. They missed out on a good friend, sucks for them.