The Bogan/Yobbo Accent really bothers me

Richey

Do you know what i'm talking about here, those really slang yobbo accents that alot of males seem to develop because its in their family or it makes them feel like a true australian. i've always found it repulsive and ugly for some reason. you even hear it on radio stations like triple m and the commercial stations, it just bothers me because its such a lazy form of speech and this is generalising but alot of them really do drink VB, listen to ac/dc, cold chisel and eat lots of red meat, are tradesmen etc. there are definitely characters in that realm but i've worked in a factory where i was surrounded by these sorts of people and it felt like i was stuck in some cheesy paul hogan b movie. just awful. there are even members of my family that sort of adopt the bogan spirit, i dont know i've always found it lame.

i actually think its a downside to living here as offensive as that seems.

crankitup

Hey!:mad: My accents like this but I'm no yobbo. I'm against the whole Aussi macho/footballing/beer drinking culture. It drives me mad that to have respect from a lot of your fellow Australians your expected to act like the typical Bloke who watches footy while drinking his VB and treats his wife like a #$%^&.

I do have this accent but I'm quiet, respectful, don't drink, and I can't think of anything more boring then watching football. I hope no one puts me into the same category as those types of people.

I guess it's something that has made me a little alienated too. I don't know where I fit in with Australian culture.

Kat

Hey!:mad: My accents like this but I'm no yobbo. I'm against the whole Aussi macho/footballing/beer drinking culture. It drives me mad that to have respect from a lot of your fellow Australians your expected to act like the typical Bloke who watches footy while drinking his VB and treats his wife like a #$%^&.

I do have this accent but I'm quiet, respectful, don't drink, and I can't think of anything more boring then watching football. I hope no one puts me into the same category as those types of people.

I guess it's something that has made me a little alienated too. I don't know where I fit in with Australian culture.

Yeah, sorry I shouldn’t be so opened about my preferences sometimes::eek::. I am sure some people love it. I’m from Adelaide and we tend to have the Nicole kidman accent. It’s bad when anyone stereotypes really, I hate when they do that in movies.

I can understand what you mean though, we don’t really have a culture here. I think it’s good to just pick and choose what you like from everybody else’s and roll it into your own little unique thing.

Baguette

oh my goodness they are the reason i do not work any more its the same conversation everyday followed by beers after work on friday when i just wanna go home but have to wait for my lift.
how ya going, havin win?
but me and my friends talk like that for fun and now we sound worse than the average yobbo.
but i thing we are moving on to kiwi accents now there much more fun.
they call eskies chillybins haha

Lost Girl

It doesn't bother me as much as the 'stuck up' Australian accent.
Where the words are all strung-out and overly pronounced.
Blargh. Annoying.
At least the bogan one is fun to laugh at and make fun of!

boro

Yes, i agree. I cant stand the stuck up australian accent especially because it just mimics aspects of the posh uk accent - cant we have our own unique stuck up accent?

The ocker accent would bother me more if everyone i knew who had it was into V8's, chisel, etc and all those stereotypical things associated with it but thats not the case.