The Advantages of Being Single

SalemEdgerton1

Hey guys. I might be a little delusional, but I really think being single has some great advantages over being involved. I thought I'd try to help people realize the good in being single, so here's a list of advantages to being single and if anyone wants to add to this list, power to ya! I hope this helps you guys see that things aren't so bad when you change the way ya think about it!

1. No relationship drama
2. Ability to accomplish things "your" way without having to worry nearly as much about what someone else thinks
3. Allows you to focus on bettering friendships, which generally last longer
4. A feeling of self-reliance
5. Independence (though I guess that's similar to 4)
6. Lower likelihood of unwanted pregnancy or parenthood
7. Less to worry about in terms of pleasing someone (friends are easy to please)
8. Do things when and with whoever you want
9. No fear of upsetting someone when you choose to talk to someone
10. No concern with infidelity
11. Can spend funds on you (and occasionally friends and family)
12. A feeling of inner strength after overcoming feelings of loneliness
13. Finding intimacy in friendships
14. Less obligations
15. No concern with having to "adapt" to significant other's "annoying" or "uncomfortable" habits
16. No concern with significant other's parents
17. Less concern with "screwing up" when hanging out
18. Less likelihood of feelings of needing to change or act in a certain way while around friends
19. Greater likelihood to go on ideal vacations
20. Greater likelihood on deciding where to eat
21. Greater likelihood to front a band

gsmax5

Totally.

You also don't have to worry about fitness. You can just drink lard everyday and not have to worry about what your partner thinks.

Argamemnon

But how do you make friends and build a social life when most people around your age are in relationships?

powerfulthoughts

Being single is only good for so long. Eventually, you start to need the sexual, emotional and relational fulfillment that can only come from a relationship. Our genes are built to reproduce and bond with a member of the opposite sex.

ophme

i don't know what the hell i'd do if i become single again after nearly 3 years of being with someone. would not be good.

SalemEdgerton1

lol good. But it's no fun to fool ourselves into believing being single is the best option. It's not.

It's not necessarily fooling. I don't really care about the sexual side of relationships all that much and get fulfilled emotionally and socially through friendships. Relationships are a nice addition, I won't lie, but I don't think they're as glorious and idealistic as people make them out to be. I think single life and relationships both have strengths and weaknesses. I think people put too much emphasis on relationships as being an "all or nothing" kind of thing, like they are dependent on that person to feel content and happy when that really doesn't have to be the case. I truly believe that the best relationships are the ones that a more an "extended" friendship rather than a "I can't live without you" kind of ordeal, but that's just me.

But how do you make friends and build a social life when most people around your age are in relationships?

I've felt inadequate in the past because I've approached it like that. The best friends I've ever met (and am still friends with) are the girls I met at work. They were mostly either lesbians or involved with someone else, but it never really mattered because I wasn't approaching it that I just wanted to have a serious relationship with them. If you concern yourself less with meeting a guy/girl for something more than friendship before the friendship, then you'll end up getting frustrated and never making new friends. You just have to get past that belief and let it happen when it will happen. It sucks for sure at times, but the best relationships, whether friendly or serious, are built on patience and time.

Danfalc

Banned
Id much rather be with someone that be single.But at the same time if you use your time effectively when you are single...because you have more time for yaself and the such I think that means it can be eaiser to sort your problems out.Unless your lucky enough to meet someone who is going through the same stuff as you.

I think some of the reasons in the first post are streching it a bit ::p: no offence,but yeah like everything there is some pro's and con's to each.

Last edited:

SalemEdgerton1

Id much rather be with someone that be single.But at the same time if you use your time effectively when you are single...because you have more time for yaself and the such I think that means its eaiser to sort your problems out
I think some of the reasons in the first post are streching it a bit ::p: no offence

lol none taken. The band one was just random. I totally agree with you for the most part. I think it's been a lot easier for me because I tend to prefer alone time to recharge and recoup and prefer to not always be around people. I still long for a relationships from time to time, but I've become comfortable with single life so it doesn't really bother me. It's just something that I think people look at in a more negative way when it's really not so bad.

powerfulthoughts

It's not necessarily fooling. I don't really care about the sexual side of relationships all that much and get fulfilled emotionally and socially through friendships. Relationships are a nice addition, I won't lie, but I don't think they're as glorious and idealistic as people make them out to be. I think single life and relationships both have strengths and weaknesses. I think people put too much emphasis on relationships as being an "all or nothing" kind of thing, like they are dependent on that person to feel content and happy when that really doesn't have to be the case. I truly believe that the best relationships are the ones that a more an "extended" friendship rather than a "I can't live without you" kind of ordeal, but that's just me.

I agree they both have strengths and weaknesses. You are absolutely right. But I believe that, ideally, it's better to be in a relationship. If someone isn't ready for that, then I agree -- stay single. But if you are emotionally well, and self-assured, then being with someone intimately can only add great value to your life, imo.

SalemEdgerton1

I agree they both have strengths and weaknesses. You are absolutely right. But I believe that, ideally, it's better to be in a relationship. If someone isn't ready for that, then I agree -- stay single. But if you are emotionally well, and self-assured, then being with someone intimately can only add great value to your life, imo.

Yeah I agree with you. I think relationships can add a great deal to life, but the trick is not making it the pinnacle of life or something you feel you "have" to do. I like to think that I living up the single life while keeping my eyes open. I think much of culture teaches us that it is ideal to get married and be in a relationship with someone and biologically it makes sense, but I think that it doesn't apply to everyone.

thor01

Yeah I agree with you. I think relationships can add a great deal to life, but the trick is not making it the pinnacle of life or something you feel you "have" to do. I like to think that I living up the single life while keeping my eyes open. I think much of culture teaches us that it is ideal to get married and be in a relationship with someone and biologically it makes sense, but I think that it doesn't apply to everyone.

Yep I agree personally.

recluse

Advantages of being single - Time to myself, less expense:D, no drama like jealousy and arguing.

Disadvantages of being single - Feeling of emptiness and missing out, no affection, feeling like an ugly loser, envy at seeing couples together, tired right arm and blindness :D