thankyou

sorrow1

Hi,

I haven't posted here or even been on here for quite sometime but I was asked a question the other day at work that got me thinking.

We were asked "what achievements in your life are you most proud of?"
Well as you can expect most of my work collegues had a long list of things to share, having kids, doing well in school, getting a degree or winning awards in sports etc.

Naturally I said something similar that I was proud that I am a good singer/songwriter and have recorded my own CD and that I am a good swimmer and have succeeded in swimming races. Two things that I am proud of but the whole time I was talking one thought kept coming into my head and that was my 13 year struggle with Social Anxiety. None of the above I believe would have been possible if I had not beaten SA.

Finally defeating this debilitating condition after 13 years of torment and struggle I believe is what I am most proud of. An achievement that only I could appreciate. I could not tell them at the time that that was my crowning achievement ofcourse because not one person in my life, friends, family or work collegues know about the struggle I went through for 13 years.
But I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

5 years ago I was at my lowest point. A borderline alcoholic with no friends, no job, no girlfriend and living at home. I used to lie on job applications so I wouldn't get the job because I was too afraid of the social interactions Id have to deal with. I felt so scared and so guilty as I felt a burdon to my parents who I know knew I was shy but didn't really understand and just thought I was lazy as I barely left the house. Maybe that's my fault for not telling them but at the time I didn't know what was wrong with me.

A year and a half in this state I finally decided to plunge in the deep end and landed a job in another city. I took a leap and moved away from my parents into a house with total strangers and a job that demanded social interaction and even public speaking. I felt this was the exposure I needed.

The first year I would describe as hell but it was here that I discovered this site. I nearly turned back and gave up many times but I believe it was the people on here that made me hold it together and stick with it and I am so grateful I did as years of slow exposure to social situations has worked. There was no way I wanted to go back.

Perhaps I didn't make as many friends on here as I should of and would of liked to have made but I want to thank all the people on here who gave me help and inspiration along the way. All the people who had the guts to share there own thoughts and experiences no matter what they were as I took much comfort in reading their posts knowing that there were other people going through the same.

Maybe we should all take a moment and take some pride in the little things we achieve in life. That moment you took the time out to speak to a stranger at work and they then smile and say hi the next day. Little things like that that others take for granted but for us it takes a hell of a lot of effort. Its so easy to compare ourselves to others and get down that were not like them but if they had this condition would they be able to survive?

Ive been waffling a lot I know but I just want to say thankyou and keep helping those in need on here, your all great and wonderful people :)

sorrow1

Thanks guys, I hope you guys find the same. Maybe next I will get the courage to finally tell those around me about my past and give the condition the publicity it deserves. maybe I'll get a wife lol!!!

Capsaicin

Thanks guys, I hope you guys find the same. Maybe next I will get the courage to finally tell those around me about my past and give the condition the publicity it deserves. maybe I'll get a wife lol!!!

I think that would be great. There are probably many out there who think they're alone would benefit from someone speaking openly of it, like it's something that's conquerable and not shameful that a perfectly valid person can struggle with.

sorrow1

It deffinately deserves more publicity than it does but maybe I'm not the best person to voice that. I'm scared of the critism and possible distaste of the people I have come to care about. Maybe it's a paranoia that's an echo of the thoughts I've suffered in the past, who knows and the only way of knowing for sure is to tell someone, so maybe if they don't understand they're not worth knowing after all.

It feels like a big step but the right one! I think I am going to tell my parents over x-mas could be the start of a New Years resolution to be more open and confident!

ImNotMyIllness

Glad to hear that you've made so much progress! This is a great site. I came to the forum last year and it has helped me a lot. I'm finally admitting to myself that I have a mental illness and I'm slowly chipping away at my fears and problems. This past year, I feel like I've been stripped to the bone. Rebuilding myself from the inside out, so far has been very tough but I know in the end, it will be worthwhile. I'm already receiving the dividends from my effort.
Keep moving forward! And we all should remember what we have and to display random acts of kindness. A smile goes a long way.