Texting and Typing versus Talking and Meeting up in person

Asphyxiatedragoon

Okayy, so. I've noticed through me and alot of people that we can spill out exactly what we are thinking when we text/type/write but when we are face to face with someone or when we are just having a normal audible conversation we tend to not give full blown answers from deep within our thoughts and emotions like we do through our technological devices or whatever it is you use to communicate with haha. Anyways. I'm one of those people who can be more real through the internet rather than through the phone or in person. There are many reasons why. So what are your's? :ironicsmile: I think I just need to go out more and find the courage (It is in me) to actually be who I am.

jaim38

My brother who lives with me prefers to type rather than talk and it can be frustrating especially when the typing sessions last 30 minutes or more, and talking is faster. I know some people are more honest and sincere when typing out their thoughts and feelings, but my brother is one of those extreme cases. He doesn't talk to me at home, unless we're outside and he yells at me in the car or mumbles very quietly in public places.

MikeyC

It's easier to spill out more personal stuff on here because of the anonymity of the Internet, and we can collect and articulate our thoughts a lot better. We have a backspace button on our keyboard, but not in our speech.

Trying to spill your guts to someone that knows you face-to-face isn't easy. All the things you want to say are left inside because the conversation doesn't warrant it, or they've got something they want to say, or you're enjoying your burger too much. ::p: Too many variables that aren't present online.

Steelsoul

True. I am a better typer or writter than a speaker. In real conversations, i can't say anything interesting because they're talking too fast, and i have to think porperly before saying it. Sometimes i don't have guts to spilt it out in case it might offend somebody. But it's different on the net, i can delete what i said wrong. I can talk freely without looking at others's eyes. I even can express my feelings. I feel more like myself online

Asphyxiatedragoon

I'm kinda like your brother Jaim38. Maybe he can't think of what to say? MikeyC you gave the perfect answer for most of us who are like this. But I type fast and type exactly what I think and in person I also like to give well thought out answers but like you say the convo. doesn't allow it sometimes. Steelsoul you are so darn honest :D. Labyrinthine I hope you get better cuz I sometimes can't think at all lol. Thanks guys for posting your smarticles.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Like a lot of people have said, typing gives us a chance to think more about what we say, as well as look over our words, and change and edit them if necessary.

Speaking in person is more than simply the words we say as written text usually is, which adds much to it. We have to worry about a lot of things, like our voice, the reaction of the people around us, judgement they may be making, and what they think of us. How we look while communicating, what we're doing and how we're acting. Worrying about things like this makes the conversation a lot more difficult, whereas being able to embrace them could make the conversation more fulfilling.

It's hard to convey emotion, or to "speak without words" online, which is something you can do speaking in person. You can't do hand motions, nod, sing, raise the intonation in your voice to indicate sarcasm, or any other social cues that are non-spoken.

I much prefer textual communication in most situations, because all of the non-content aspects of conversation are weaknesses to me, and make conversation much more difficult to me and usually not enjoyable (or even possible) for me. But, when I am able to overcome the worry and insecurities of spoken word, I much prefer that. I'd rather say a few paragraphs comfortably to someone then type them a books worth of words. The human factor of people is more fulfilling.