Ten Year Recurring Nightmare

R3K

so those who have seen my posts over the past few years know i'm a certified college drop-out. it was torture, basically, and i had no confidence in succeeding at college at all.

naturally, i have nightmares about it, but not in the way you'd think. i graduated highschool with no problem, really. but this recurring nightmare always sends me back to the 11th or 12th grade. and in this nightmare i'm always returning to highschool after having dropped out, and i'm having to complete just one class to graduate. the entire nightmare is focused around struggling to complete this course.

i don't get it, because i dropped out of college, not highschool...

it's weird, and i almost feel like, in order to end this recurring nightmare that i have to go back and complete college somehow. even though the format of the nightmare is always highschool... :eek:mg:

idk, any dream experts out there?

Perhaps the dream is revealing your feelings of confusion or guilt (or ?) at having been able to complete high school with no problem yet you feel that you failed when you attempted college. The dream brings your high school success into the picture as the scenario for the dream, so that it can contrast it against your negative feelings about college

Well I think the dream features your high school cos your subconscious is probably more comfortable with the concept of high school for your as opposed to college. Being a college drop out is not the end of the world, if even in your awake time you think this dream is signaling for you to go back to college that means you really somehow feel that completing college is something you need to do. What are you doing right now? Completing college isn't the only way to move forward in life. So long as you move towards doing something constructive in your life I am sure this feeling will pass.

Most of the time we make big deals out of issues that are not so big. You made a mistake, move on forgive yourself stop judging yourself on the basis of the past. So long as you are going forwards , doesn't mean you havvve to go to college. You get what I'm saying? Just take charge of your life and don't waste time trying to interpret your subconscious, it seldom tells you stuff you don't already know. It's not god it's just your sub-conscience.

R3K

The dream brings your high school success into the picture as the scenario for the dream, so that it can contrast it against your negative feelings about college

maybe... it's just annoying, I wish these nightmares could at least be in the college setting

Well I think the dream features your high school cos your subconscious is probably more comfortable with the concept of high school for your as opposed to college. Being a college drop out is not the end of the world, if even in your awake time you think this dream is signaling for you to go back to college that means you really somehow feel that completing college is something you need to do. What are you doing right now? Completing college isn't the only way to move forward in life. So long as you move towards doing something constructive in your life I am sure this feeling will pass.

Most of the time we make big deals out of issues that are not so big. You made a mistake, move on forgive yourself stop judging yourself on the basis of the past. So long as you are going forwards , doesn't mean you havvve to go to college. You get what I'm saying? Just take charge of your life and don't waste time trying to interpret your subconscious, it seldom tells you stuff you don't already know. It's not god it's just your sub-conscience.

I should add, my dad pressured me into college since I was old enough to think. he built it up as this super necessary thing, and bragged that he was the only one out of his 4 bro's and sisters who attended and graduated college. now, ironically, i'm basically the only one out of all his siblings' children who hasn't graduated college. it took him until 2009 to accept my excuses for not completing college.

but lately I feel shame, and I wish for an opportunity to return to college, if only to finish it and shut everyone up. and to end the nightmares :/

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
but lately I feel shame, and I wish for an opportunity to return to college, if only to finish it and shut everyone up. and to end the nightmares :/

But put aside what everyone thinks, if you didn't have anyone to please except yourself, do you wish you could go back to college and try again?

R3K

But put aside what everyone thinks, if you didn't have anyone to please except yourself, do you wish you could go back to college and try again?

I hear ya... but the problem is I can only "put aside what everyone thinks" consciously. when i'm having these nightmares my subconscious is in control. it's like the inner me is trying to make me go back to college by torturing me with nightmares until I do :kickingmyself: ... idk this shit's been bugging me for 2/3 my life