talking to the supervisor...

selon

I got a skype meeting with my thesis supervisor tomorrow and I don't know what to say. I can't ask him questions about what to do because
a) he's not the kind of guy who would help me anyways and
b) how can I tell him that I literally don't know what to do?

I can't talk to bosses, teachers, professors and supervisors. It took me almost an hour once to write a 5 line email to my boss (no kidding). Am actually getting drunk right now (alone.. hellooo pathetic) so that I can get some sleep later on. Otherwise I'll just toss and turn all night. I know I don't see this whole thing in perspective but I can't help myself. This is the worst I've felt in a very very long time.

I asked him for a face to face meeting last week, but he was busy. Before that he was on vacation for like 3 weeks. Now a skype date. Won't be able to say a word. The good thing is he won't see my face so he won't see me blushing, this is the only thing that could make that worse.

MBinMN

To understand... are you asking how to write your thesis? Or what information are you looking for from your supervisor exactly?

selon

Yeah Im writing my thesis. He told me from the beginning that he doesn't quite think it's interesting. It's not his field of research. So I did something and sent it to him but he wasnt really specific about what I should change and how I should change it. Few weeks later he tells me I should go back and change stuff but again, nothing specific. So I finally did my pre-test, got 16 respondents. And now I couldnt figure out how SPSS (the statistics program) works. The thing is he was my prof in that course so I can't come and ask basic stuff that he supposedly taught me last year.. I even got good grades. Story of my life: im good in theory, but in practice.. :idontknow::eek:mg:

MBinMN

My goodness that is a difficult situation for anyone let alone someone with social anxiety.
There is no way to ask him to be specific on the changes he would like to see? For the statistics program it was a year ago, point out some aspects you do recall but mention there is just one item I seem to be missing could you point me in the right direction perhaps?

DeadmanWalking

Well, you could probably ask if your professor would mind talking through the IM system. Worse comes to worst, you can claim that you don't have a webcam on your computer/laptop.

As for your thesis' content, you just might have to admit that you're lost. Tell him that you don't really understand the advice he gave you and would like a more detailed explanation as to what he thinks you should change. Teachers are there to help you succeed; any teacher that won't help to the best of their ability isn't doing their job.

selon

He didn't show up!!! I was waiting for like an hour online and he didn't come. This means I'm basically screwed cause I still don't know what to do but then again I didn't have to talk to him ^__^ :giggle::bigsmile::)

selon

Well, you could probably ask if your professor would mind talking through the IM system. Worse comes to worst, you can claim that you don't have a webcam on your computer/laptop.

As for your thesis' content, you just might have to admit that you're lost. Tell him that you don't really understand the advice he gave you and would like a more detailed explanation as to what he thinks you should change. Teachers are there to help you succeed; any teacher that won't help to the best of their ability isn't doing their job.

The thing is I'm struggling with basic stuff (which is why I can't start the really difficult ****ysis) so he probably thinks it's too easy to help me or sth. Plus he always seems super busy and he doesn't like my topic anyway. My problem is that when I don't know what to do I do nothing for some time. He realized that and is therefore I guess even more unwilling to help me out.

Insecure student + busy uninterested professor = disasterrrr for me

But still I'm glad he didn't come online. It makes the overall situation worse but damn I'm so relieved. Barely slept at night and whatever I wanted to say wouldn't come out right anyway so.. :idontknow: :giggle: