Success or Death! There is no Middle Ground.

Mack_Berserk

I've been a dunce up to now, and SA has nothing to do with it.

I ditched high school so much that when I was finally caught, the office said that it was "extremely rare" for someone to get away with so much ditching and difficult to "turn around".

I remember drinking lots of alcohol those days to justify my absense from school. I had at least one other friend who would ditch and drink with me, for other reasons of course. Eventually, I got to a point where I would drink before school, and then go to the first two periods while drunk just to know what it would feel like without being anxious. Then I would leave the campus.

But the truth of it is, I really can't blame it all on SA. I admit that much of ditching school had to do with the fact that I didn't want to be around people, however, it's only fair that I also include the lack of motivational feelings that contributed to my behavior. Sadly, I just didn't have any inspiration or goals in school. My failure in high school and college had more to do with no motivation than SA. (This is one of those things that is very hard to admit to myself, even in writing.)

I ended up having to get a GED rather than a High School Diploma because I was not disciplined enough to stick to my school work. I then went to college to study computer software through money from my grandma. I dropped out after a year from SA pressure and a sudden loss in interest.

That was around age 20 (almost 21). While attending college, I had been working for a game support company for a year when I got an employment opportunity in Texas from a software development company through a friend's relative. I moved from California to Texas for this new job and worked for about 8 months before the recession kicked in and they had to lay me off. Since then, I have been desparately working at a restaurant to make money, but was recently fired.

I am now 22. I have few skills, no special work history, and no useful prior knowledge of technical environments. Money is tight, depression is certainly nothing new, and SA has never let up (despite many positive activities such as going to the gym daily).

HOWEVER, after several months of working as a Host/ToGo associate and going to jail for... public intoxication..., I believe that I have finally had some sense knocked into me. I want to become a paramedic. I may have been a dunce up to this point, but I think I'm just now realizing that the past is the past and the future is what I make of it.

I'm going back to California in a few days. With some aid from family, I will go back to school to pursue the career I desire. This is my last chance at being who I was always meant to be. Honestly, it's success or death - There is no in between. And I WILL succeed.

I have severe SA, but I'm determined to not let that get in the way here. SA has plagued me since I was 13, and even though it still has a death grip on my social life, I won't let it stand in the way of following my dreams.

So... Can anyone relate?

Noca

Banned
You should seek out your college's disability office and get accommodations for your SA and other mental illnesses.

Harleyq

Good luck with becoming a paramedic! Hopefully this will give you lots of motivation because I can't lie, you'll need it. My bf became a licensed EMT and by the time he finished schooling, the graduating class was small because you can't get below a certain score on any test. If even one test doesn't meet the required score, you get kicked out.

So, a lot of pressure, but worth it. My bf loves his job and is working on becoming a paramedic, also.

Mack_Berserk

Good luck with becoming a paramedic! Hopefully this will give you lots of motivation because I can't lie, you'll need it. My bf became a licensed EMT and by the time he finished schooling, the graduating class was small because you can't get below a certain score on any test. If even one test doesn't meet the required score, you get kicked out.

So, a lot of pressure, but worth it. My bf loves his job and is working on becoming a paramedic, also.

Thx Harley!

Yea, I've heard how hard it is becoming a Paramedic, let alone an EMT. And eventually, I also want to become a Firefighter, which I understand has even more competition. Though I'm kind of hoping that all the wildfires in Cali will grant me at least some leeway there. They really need help!

Harleyq

Thx Harley!

Yea, I've heard how hard it is becoming a Paramedic, let alone an EMT. And eventually, I also want to become a Firefighter, which I understand has even more competition. Though I'm kind of hoping that all the wildfires in Cali will grant me at least some leeway there. They really need help!

No problem! I really think this goal will be good for you. The success will give you an ego boost, I can almost promise that. And then knowing that you're doing an important job that proves the people in your school's office wrong can only help your self esteem and your SA. You've got nothing to lose..the very worst that can happen is you'd have to retake the class, and that's really no big deal..like you said the past is the past. Just dust yourself off, and try again knowing you have more in your arsenal than you did the first time and you won't be the first, nor the last to get up and keep going.

Mack_Berserk

No problem! I really think this goal will be good for you. The success will give you an ego boost, I can almost promise that. And then knowing that you're doing an important job that proves the people in your school's office wrong can only help your self esteem and your SA. You've got nothing to lose..the very worst that can happen is you'd have to retake the class, and that's really no big deal..like you said the past is the past. Just dust yourself off, and try again knowing you have more in your arsenal than you did the first time and you won't be the first, nor the last to get up and keep going.

Thank you again for your inspiration here. It sounds almost like a speech :)

Yea. If I do fail at some point, getting back up may be the hardest part, but only then will I be able to move forward.

I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. ;)

Tiercel

With a title like that, I guess just waking up every day means you've succeeded. :)

When I was younger I wanted to be an EMT or a veterinarian when I got older. But through the years I've lost the passion to help others. Now it's more of a hobby, really.

So you can use that for additional inspiration. There are some dudes who just don't want to help people. ;)

Anubis

Yea, being an EMT sounds exciting. You're basically the first line of defense. You get to interact with patients before doctors even get to look at them. Good luck.

206Raider

I too skipped school so much Idropped out and got a GED alogn with the drinking and getting high. I hated school and didn't want to be there so at a time I had to either go to juve or get a GED, well I wasn't gonna dmit that I was weak and anxious so I quit and people got mad and I went to college for awhile but couldn't find somethign I wanted to do.....I actually did really good at college and had a 4.0 something I never came close to in high school, usuallys straight F's. I had letters of reccomondation to help tutor other kids ebcuase I was so good. And while I was happy that I did so well I also extremly hated it becuase my family would be too proud going "your doing so good, I'm so proud" blah blah and I knew if I screwed up people would get mad all over again. I couldn't stand how good I was doing and lost complete interest and got straight F's again and never been back since. Once people expect me to do good thats when I shut off..

Noca

Banned
This is... possible?

Yes it is possible. I myself am at college and I have many accommodations for my illnesses. I write my tests in my own private room, the teachers arent allowed to ask me questions or single me out in class, all interviews are done in front of the teacher only, I have the option to take home in class assignments, I have note takers etc etc.

Just seek your disability office in your college and make an appt. Make sure you are professionally diagnosed first by a GP, psychiatrist etc.

Mack_Berserk

I too skipped school so much Idropped out and got a GED alogn with the drinking and getting high. I hated school and didn't want to be there so at a time I had to either go to juve or get a GED, well I wasn't gonna dmit that I was weak and anxious so I quit and people got mad and I went to college for awhile but couldn't find somethign I wanted to do.....I actually did really good at college and had a 4.0 something I never came close to in high school, usuallys straight F's. I had letters of reccomondation to help tutor other kids ebcuase I was so good. And while I was happy that I did so well I also extremly hated it becuase my family would be too proud going "your doing so good, I'm so proud" blah blah and I knew if I screwed up people would get mad all over again. I couldn't stand how good I was doing and lost complete interest and got straight F's again and never been back since. Once people expect me to do good thats when I shut off..

I was getting all F's in high school as well. But in college, I had straight A's and sometimes B's for an entire year. It's interesting how we're similar in that regard.

It seems to me that your anxiety stems from other's expectations of you, which then influences your performance and motivation. You said you initially didn't know what you really wanted to study in college, so I would suggest you do some more research about the different career opportunities available to you. Why? I believe that once you find something that really interests you, you will be able do what YOU want and NOT what others want. Or at least that is the way you will see it (which is the only thing that's important).

If you're reading this and thinking "I can't" for whatever reason, just ask yourself "what other choice do I really have"? I've lately been finding that when I have nothing to lose, failing isn't something I worry about (unless it involves women - lol, but only because rejection hurts...:rolleyes:).

Good luck, my friend.

Mack_Berserk

Yes it is possible. I myself am at college and I have many accommodations for my illnesses. I write my tests in my own private room, the teachers arent allowed to ask me questions or single me out in class, all interviews are done in front of the teacher only, I have the option to take home in class assignments, I have note takers etc etc.

Just seek your disability office in your college and make an appt. Make sure you are professionally diagnosed first by a GP, psychiatrist etc.

Will do, Noca. Thx for the info! :)