Still anxious

kuze

It's been 8 years since I've joined this website. Sadly I still suffer from anxiety. Back when I first joined, I never left my house much. Now I'm always out of the house, and I'm working. That's a huge improvement for me. I still have the lingering ticks, looking at people the wrong way, not making eye contact, being generally weird socially. Sadly, I haven't gotten any real treatment since I've joined this site. I'm sad that I still deal with this, I thought I would be over it by now.

kuze

I think there's a misconception about anxiety. Anxiety doesn't 'end'. At best, you manage to tame it, and stop allowing it to control your life. But it doesn't go away.

I've been fantasizing about a life without panic attacks for 16 years now. The idea of this being something that I have to deal with the the rest of my life is heartbreaking for me. I hate living life this.

Miserum

I think there's a misconception about anxiety. Anxiety doesn't 'end'. At best, you manage to tame it, and stop allowing it to control your life. But it doesn't go away.

I have not yet acquiesced to this belief because I feel I still have a significant ways to go in terms of self-growth. I simply don't know yet if I will be able to live a non-anxious or relatively normal life yet because I have not exhausted the possibilities that I think might get me there.

Sacrament

I've been fantasizing about a life without panic attacks for 16 years now. The idea of this being something that I have to deal with the the rest of my life is heartbreaking for me. I hate living life this.

But panic attacks are different than anxiety. Anxiety is a primal thing which, in our earlier days, allowed us to differentiate between that rustling in the bushes being something out to kill us or just the wind. We don't have that danger nowadays, and so we adapt this to other things (people judging us, etc).

For panic attacks, I'd suggest some form of therapy.

Last edited: