Status

MikeyC

Social status can have an impact, sure, but don't forget that tabloids like the New York Times have to exaggerate the facts to make a good story. Don't believe everything you read, since some of the data can be distorted to make it a thrilling read. Australian media is no different!

Besides, the story is not telling us anything we don't know. Less money = more stress? Shocking!

Earthcircle, you're not screwed. :) Forget about this story and just go for the things you love.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Well first of all, being more stressed than others doesn't mean you're screwed.

Secondly, There is countless studies out there that contradict this one.

It's true what Mikey says about exaggerating the facts. Actually, if you ever read scientific articles, you probably figured that it's very easy to arrange the data according to what you want the conclusion to be. It's all a matter of how you interpret your graphics etc.

You post a lot of articles about studies lately, are you looking for something in particular? I've read a lot of articles too, maybe I can send you some links.

Sometimes the best idea is to read the scientific article directly, and read more than one, written by different people, rather than an article written by someone who read the study. This way you have access to the data and you can make your own conclusion.

Earthcircle

Well first of all, being more stressed than others doesn't mean you're screwed.

Secondly, There is countless studies out there that contradict this one.

It's true what Mikey says about exaggerating the facts. Actually, if you ever read scientific articles, you probably figured that it's very easy to arrange the data according to what you want the conclusion to be. It's all a matter of how you interpret your graphics etc.

You post a lot of articles about studies lately, are you looking for something in particular? I've read a lot of articles too, maybe I can send you some links.

Sometimes the best idea is to read the scientific article directly, and read more than one, written by different people, rather than an article written by someone who read the study. This way you have access to the data and you can make your own conclusion.

I suppose I tend to read a lot of studies, both the originals and the journalistic reports. I used to have a subscription to New Scientist, although I let it lapse because I moved to South America.

Isn't it funny, by the way, that SocialPhobiaWorld allows us to say "screwed," but we can't say "psychoanalysis"?