Started a new job today

crazypants

So I started a new job today, and I came here to whine about it. :)

First of all, I have no idea how I got this job. The combination of my social anxiety and hyperhidrosis feeding off each other is always a lethal combination. I sweated profusely during the interview and while half of my brain was focused on the questions during my interview, the other half of my brain was focused entirely on my sweating: how the sweating wouldn't stop... how HOT it was in that office... what the interviewers thought about the fact that I couldn't stop sweating... and what would happen if I just got up and left because I was about to jump out of my skin?

But, I got the job, great. Today was my first day, which meant showing up freshly showered and dry, hair and make up done, clean clothes on, and being reduced to a sweaty unsightly mess within 15 minutes. WHY WHY WHY do they feel the need to drag you around the WHOLE DAMNED BUILDING to shake hands and make "nice to meet you/welcome aboard" chit chat with EVERY PERSON THEY CAN THINK OF? It was sheer torture.

And let me say, of course the building is way too hot, and of course nothing is near anything else, so you have to walk down what feels like miles of hallways just to get anywhere. Naturally, right???

After being led through that obstacle course of humiliation, I spent the rest of the day sitting with some trainers in the hot and poorly ventilated training room, which was like a wonderful extra helping of misery. It was just hour after hour of sitting there wiping sweat off my face while trying to concentrate on what what someone is trying to train me. Getting all sweaty and hot is so distressful as it is, but to have to continue sweating for the rest of the day is HORRIBLE!!

When I got home, I drank so much water it was unbelievable. And now I'm up in the middle of night with restless legs, which sometimes happens to me if I've been sweating constantly all day long.

I hate new jobs. I hate sweating. GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
That does sound pretty rough. I dont have problems with hyperhidrosis but I do with social anxiety and being around people in the "real" world.
I know what it is like to start a new job and it can be one of the most soul destroying things in the world (at least for me - it is exceptionally hard) but you obviously have come across better than you give yourself credit for....otherwise you would not have been given the job at all.

I am sorry about the sweating - that would be such an awful thing to have to go through.

karl:-/

Hi crazypants, read your post and dam you need a medals for doing that. Id of walked out the interview :( I know all too well,When that hot feeling comes over you then its mind games with your self...

I'm haven another bad day today so I'm with you... I just can't stop it today my meds ain't working... Feel so restless,hopeless....

Qurion2

i sweat outside a lot, too, but not in an extend where i couldnt hide it
i dont have that kind of social phobia, mine is rather a complete avoid attempt

people i know tell me that iam strong, mentally
but i cant even go to school to take care of a mistake they did :/
and it is important x.x
i will try to not sleep more then a few hours and try it tomorrow then.... my body is my own when not rested at least

Jessica7

Congratulations about getting the job! The sweating sounds terrible, at my job when I was learning reception I would sweat all over the phone in front of the person that was teaching me, it was so embarrassing, but I've gotten a lot more confident with it now so it's not so bad - I hope that you settle in well with your job too, and maybe it will get easier to deal with over time.

Starting a new job is scary for everyone, just try to stay calm and remember that the people you're working with were once new and probably very nervous too!

bcsr

Oh, the dreaded introductions. I'm sorry the first day was rough, but good job sticking it out. The first day is usually the hardest. :)

hyp-hi

That sounds really rough. Interviews and handshakes are the worst. That's great that you got the job though. Stick with it for a week and see if things get better. Good luck!

DaveC

Sorry about your first day, but I for one are proud you did it. I completely understand and know how you feel.but congratulate yourself for doing it.

Good luck

cavegirl

Congrats! I remember interviewing for a job once and was sweating so profusely, I had to ask for a piece of paper to fan myself. I did NOT get the job. So kudos to you and to your employer for looking past the sweat and hiring you for who you are, sweat and all!:)