some weird 60's conceptual art that makes me happy

So, everybody knows who Yoko Ono is, but most people don't know that long before she met John Lennon she was already a really influential and completely brilliant conceptual artist.

She did/does a lot of text pieces called Instruction Pieces, which somehow make me feel so much better sometimes. They're just ways of thinking about things a little differently, or beautiful little statements of truth. Check it out:

100 Acorns

Here's one of my favorites:

"A ghost was standing in a public toilet.
I suggested that he go up in the sky and be part of the light.
"I don't want to do that", he said.
"Why?"
"Because I want to maintain my individuality".

I thought it was interesting that he would rather stand in the public toilet than join the light. Does he really treasure what he perceives as his individuality, or is he just simply afraid of making the move?

Tell us what your story is in staying where you are now in life."

Krista

Aw, I love that you know her back story and she isn't considered "The Curse of the Beatles". Thank you so much for posting this.

It's funny, she was pretty famous artist with exhibits at major museums all over the world when John Lennon came to one of her shows. He hammered an imaginary nail into her "Painting to Hammer a Nail Into" and the rest is history. lol

ono4.gif

Emily_G

what a weird video...could only watch half of it. Is is supposed to be funny, or is she just weird....?