Society is Evil

shield

I was watching a video today which made me think how harmful and damaging society is to our mental health. In our society poor self-esteem and mental health issues are much much more prevalent than in less economically developed societies. Anorexia is often referred to as a disease of the Western World because it is almost unheard of in other poorer countries. So what is causing these mental illnesses?

Well a bi-product of capitalism is consumerism. Basically because the exchange of wealth is controlled by private individuals in a capitalist society people are very greedy. They want to earn as much money as possible by selling their product to as many people as possible. They can only do this through promoting Consumerism i.e. the belief that personal happiness is equated to the possession and consumption of products.

The way that they do this is by making us unhappy if we don't buy the products. For example;

Advertisements for products show attractive successful people. This causes us to feel inferior. We try to fill our inferiority by buying the product in the advertisement.

These advertisements target the mass public. Because consumerism has been in effect for at least a few decades the beliefs that they have tried to instill in the consumer have become mainstream and have spread into the media. Now film stars are all beautiful. There are no longer ugly actors. People who aren't good looking are ridiculed in magazines. People who wear the wrong clothes are made fun of.

The companies who distribute the products want us to feel this way because this is what makes them money.

Cosmetics, plastic surgery, penis enlargement, diet pills, gym membership, fashion brands, perfumes and aftershaves, expensive cars.

Huge industries which are fueled by our insecurities. Yet we don't need any of these things to be happy. Guys don't need to be good looking or rich to get attractive women and women don't need expensive perfumes or the latest clothes to get confident, popular men. So these things in my opinion lie at the root of most of our mental problems. And if we keep believing in the bullshit society keeps feeding us then we will hate ourselves and our lives and we will forever be depressed and unhappy. We must stop being brainwashed by society which keeps dictating what we should be and how we should look.

autumn_82

Yeah, society's pretty messed up isn't it. You really feel that when you watch tv with all its mean-spirited, superficial shows (TMZ--that celeb stalking show is the worst!). It just seems to be getting worse. I've always gotten depressed from watching channels like E! and MTV. Me (the weirdo) would rather watch PBS sometimes because its programming doesn't make me feel bad about myself. It has some substance rather than Barbie-perfect people backstabbing each other for fun.

worrywort

awesome post shield! I've always kinda understood capitalism and consumerism, but the way you explained it was way clearer!

but my question to you, or anyone, would be, what can we do about it? as a society or as individuals?

Should we throw away our tv's, stop reading magazines and just hide from it all? I'm not sure that'd be the answer cause it's all around us so much. Should we purposly wear the "wrong" clothes and then take any abuse or mockery that comes with it? I think this could be true....the idea of learning what the right thing to do is, and then doing it whether society agree's or not. Maybe we should just learn to be more aware of it, and so the next time we feel ourselves going to buy a product, to just think, do we really need this product....what is the real reason why I'm buying this? I dunno....I'm babbling....anyone else have any bright ideas?!

Doomed2Die

Besides completely shunning these things, nothing really can be done.

It's a great thing to realise society as it is, but it's tough work to erase and avoid influences in ones life. Though the benefits are worth it.

desperatehousewife

Yes, you are actually right...But It is not SA's main reason I think if you have a bad past experiences...
Everybody lives in this world and some of them have mental illness and some of them have not...It is related with economic system directly.

Lea

Banned
I couldn´t agree more that this society is evil. It doesn´t bother me that much consumerism or media brainwashing us into superficiality, what´s worse is total moral devaluation, to lie is common, exploitation is common, perversions of all kind are common, and sometimes I feel so helpless because even the justice is corrupt, i feel like the citizen cannot do anything he is exposed at the mercy of state and institutions and in the end he might end up having unfairly executed everything, without any chance to deny himself - because there is no justice.
Diseases like anorexia etc., I have the feeling some people go crazy in this way because living among other people with sick minds, having to put up with mental or even physical abuse every day.. who can stay normal and healthy in this environment?

chris420

Lea said:
I couldn´t agree more that this society is evil. It doesn´t bother me that much consumerism or media brainwashing us into superficiality, what´s worse is total moral devaluation, to lie is common, exploitation is common, perversions of all kind are common, and sometimes I feel so helpless because even the justice is corrupt, i feel like the citizen cannot do anything he is exposed at the mercy of state and institutions and in the end he might end up having unfairly executed everything, without any chance to deny himself - because there is no justice.
Diseases like anorexia etc., I have the feeling some people go crazy in this way because living among other people with sick minds, having to put up with mental or even physical abuse every day.. who can stay normal and healthy in this environment?

I think there's a link though in that superficial, consumerist society causes a lot of the social problems you're talking about here, at least indirectly.

In Britain it started with Margaret Thatcher, she spread greedy capitalist consumerism throughout the country like a disease...

faithnomore

Banned
Society is definitely evil, conusumerist and superficial. Everyone wants to be the most popular, and have the best stuff.

Oh well, i'll fight them back, the best i can. :x

Life is hard.

chris420

Lea said:
Well I met someone from Zimbabwe and he told me in Zimbabwe the life is much better than in England..

What with all the suppression, mass starvation and emigration and all that, I doubt that?

a tin of baked beans costs $500 billion now in Zimbabwe. A lo of people are going hungry.