socializing in online gaming.... just as bad?

caissa825

hi, this is my 2nd post :)

It was recommended to me by another person with SP to try online gaming as a way to make friends. So I started play WoW... and never made any friends. I did get addicted to the game though :rolleyes: (I'm recovered now).

I found that I panicked and freaked whenever someone whispered or messaged me, or tried to make a group with me. I felt just bad in the virtual world as I do IRL. By the end of my time playing, I would turn off all my chat channels so it would be impossible for someone to message me.

Is anyone else unable to socialize in online gaming too?

I find message boards to be not so bad for some reason... email isn't too bad either, and chatting, if I know the person well. Everything else is so nerve wracking and hard.

da_illest101

well, as sad as it may sound, i can be myself so easily in online game, because i don't know anyone. i'm not saying i had a huge deep conversation all the time but i could have some decent ones. I never tried WOW i was playing Perfect World International

Socializing in online games? That's pretty stupid thing. I remember ~5+ years earlier I played Quake 3. But never found any friends there. Once I went to lan party, but I haven't met anyone new. Only friends which I knew before. Now I call all those online gamers - no lifers... I know some WoW addicted people. They spend all days gaming... Emails and message boards are not bad. I met some people by emailing.

dooby-duck

I have this problem with online gaming as well. I have a console but rarely use it to be honest. I find it hard to play the games where you co-operate with other players. I never spoke to anyone online or messaged them. When people tried it made me uncomfortable for some reason.

Mokkat

I played WoW too.
I did interact with people in the game, but always about quests, guild stuff, never about myself or real life. I do have some real friends who also played on the same server, and in the same guild though, I had way more fun playing with them because I had a hard time making friends in the game.
Sometimes, in raids, the guild would have a Teamspeak or Ventrillo server up, but I would zealously deny to speak to people on it :S

edit: I ended up selling my account for quite a bit of money, when I started studying to be an engineer (dropped out of that later though :( ). I'll never play another MMO, I easily get addicted and end up spending 10+ hours a day on it, truely stressing myself while not accomplishing anything

Last edited:

Luke1993

I've always tried to make friends in online games but I always get sort of shunned lol, they think I'm weird and call me a noob lol, just like real life! :D

I don't have issues talking to others online, but I have issues finding people to take to. Even in games I am not one to walk up to someone and talk. And with chatrooms, the ones I use to use, all becoming bot ridden, I have no where else to talk. It sucks, since that was my one outlet for the longest time, and still is at times.

Pookah

I play Lord of the Rings online and WoW on and off. I've met some nice people thru them.

Remus

Staff member
I play LOTRO and DDO, not really very sociable, I played other online games that were less mainstream and chatted a bit more

SpLynx

I used to be able to chat comfortably online but now I feel same awkward like in real :/

hi, this is my 2nd post :)

It was recommended to me by another person with SP to try online gaming as a way to make friends. So I started play WoW... and never made any friends. I did get addicted to the game though :rolleyes: (I'm recovered now).

I found that I panicked and freaked whenever someone whispered or messaged me, or tried to make a group with me. I felt just bad in the virtual world as I do IRL. By the end of my time playing, I would turn off all my chat channels so it would be impossible for someone to message me.

Is anyone else unable to socialize in online gaming too?

I find message boards to be not so bad for some reason... email isn't too bad either, and chatting, if I know the person well. Everything else is so nerve wracking and hard.

I mostly solo'd WOW all the way to level 68. Occasionally I would team up with someone if a certain quest was too hard, or I'd just wait until I was a high enough level to do it myself. I would spend most of the time selling herbs and potions on the auction house. I'm going to play in a few weeks for the holidays, it's the best time to level up. Are you on the US server?

Mikefly

I don't like talking to mfers when im playing madden/nba live or mlb 2k on xbox 360. The games are so competitive it's all trash talking im not there to meet people , i don't have a mic but would talk on it occassionally if i had one. I know what your saying tho it's like talking on the phone or something to some stranger i mean really what's the point except for trash talking which is fun sometimes.