Social anxiety at work

Shortyn510

I pick up vet samples and i deal with people at a few stops...My panic attacks have stopped but I still have some social anxiety where i get nervous, turn away, kinda freeze up....so at this job its happened 15% of the time......and its weird after it happens around some one or some people...a select few of the people that experienced my nervousness dont say hi when I walk in like they used to before.................................my conclusion, people are thrown off by panic attacks and social anxiety and are ****ing ignorant.......they need to read up on it....like im bad person or thinking im weird or they shoul stay away from me.....................TELL ME WHAT U GUYS AND GALS THINK OF IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE THAT

Agent_Violet

People get absorbed in their daily functions and busy with what's in their face at the moment so they forget to be kind.It happens and it's part of life. Since you can only control yourself,the best thing to do is not take it as a personal attack on you.If they're doing it to you,they're likely doing it to everyone they encounter that day.
Every one has good days and bad days...some even have a whole month of bad so before you get frustrated,step back and realize things might not be great for them.They may be struggling with personal things or work related things.
It's not all about you or something you've done wrong.

Why would someone say hi to you when you don't say hi back? I find that most people wont. There are some "extra-nice" people that will at least smile or say hi when you don't though. I don't see why you're mad about it though. Remember, a lot of the times when you're being avoidant (turning away, etc.) it is perceived as rude, and most people will treat you as you treat them (or in this case as they think you're treating them.)

theoutsider

Unfortunately reactions like that are pretty much the norm more than the exception. People will react negatively to most things out of the ordinary. It's just one of the burdens and facts of life that those of us with SA just have to deal with. I suppose the alternative could be to tell people what your affliction is but that doesn't guarantee understanding and could actually lead to them distancing themselves even more.

I agree with ^ the outsider. Most people will not understand what you are going through. I am in a similar situation at my work. I usually deal with the same select people, but every now and again I get new people that I have to interact with. It is hard not to take it personally, but I guess we need to try and not take it too personally, because the more we internalize it, the more it affects us.

Maybe they realize that you are nervous, so they don't speak to make you feel more comfortable? Just try to remember that some people want you to feel comfortable, and they will avoid certain behaviors or actions to keep from embarrassing you.

If they are not accepting of your SA, then they don't deserve a place in your awesome life anyway. Everyone is afraid of something, so if you're ever feeling down just think of that.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
It's easy to accuse those people of being ignorant. Your conclusion is they are put off by your panic attack.
You are 'mind reading', a classic thinking trap of a SA sufferer.
You don't actually know what they where thinking. You can't know.

You call them ignorant because you think they need to read up and understand SA/panic attacks.
Perhaps you would do well to try and understand their point of view too.
It's easy to judge and jump to conclusions, but it rarely helps.

I know, I used to be terrible for it.
I don't automatically think people like that are ignorant, nowadays in my own mind I give them the benefit of the doubt first.
Maybe they are having a bad day.
Maybe they think it's me who doesn't want to talk.
Maybe their mind is on something else.
It could be a million things.