social anxiety and blood pressure

Kamen

We just had guests and I got anxious, with rapid heart rate, sweating and then headache, especially in the back of the head, which is a sign of high blood pressure. After they left, I measured my blood pressure and it was 140/80 while my normal blood pressure is 115/80 - 120/80. I start to worry, so I'd like to ask if you have problems with increased blood pressure because of your social phobia?

user12053

Kamen said:
We just had guests and I got anxious, with rapid heart rate, sweating and then headache, especially in the back of the head, which is a sign of high blood pressure. After they left, I measured my blood pressure and it was 140/80 while my normal blood pressure is 115/80 - 120/80. I start to worry, so I'd like to ask if you have problems with increased blood pressure because of your social phobia?

Very much indeed. In school we had to messure our heart rate. Mine was 130!! I was so freaking nervous because I knew everyone was going to know my rate... If I messure it myself at home, it's 80.

GloomySunday

Blood pressure and heart rate results will always be influenced by external events. If a doctor takes it in their surgery some people automatically get nervous (being in a medical environment) and therefore their reading may be way off what they are normally. It's probably best to take regular readings throughout the day at timed intervals and average the results. I'm not a doctor but that would make more sense.

Kamen

ZumasZika said:
Very much indeed. In school we had to messure our heart rate. Mine was 130!! I was so freaking nervous because I knew everyone was going to know my rate... If I messure it myself at home, it's 80.

Same here. My heart rate is around 80 - 85 when I am calm and at home, but when I am anxious and out on the street, it is frequently above 100.

Kamen

GloomySunday said:
Blood pressure and heart rate results will always be influenced by external events. If a doctor takes it in their surgery some people automatically get nervous (being in a medical environment) and therefore their reading may be way off what they are normally. It's probably best to take regular readings throughout the day at timed intervals and average the results. I'm not a doctor but that would make more sense.

Yes, that's true. My blood pressure is normal when I am at home, but when I am anxious in social environment, it frequently goes up.