Social anciety and grief disorder

Cris_river

hi everyone I decided to join this forum cause it seems that everyone is nice based on response. Well it has been almost 11 years suffering from social anxiety and grief disorder and I'm 23. I started to feel very uneasy in every aspect since I moved from Puerto Rico to the states. Back in PR, Everything from my point of view was awesome it was what i wanted, living surrounded by nature. My daily life was going to school, riding horses, fishing, painting, drawing and some days going to the beach. Even tho I didn't have much material stuff I felt complete but now I feel like everything is gone. here in the states everyone seems very materialistic or celebrity wannabe and all about the swag and beauty stuff.Now add my father to the story, one of the persons who brought down my confidence, by always making me feel ashamed of myself by not wanting to perform what he wanted, and plus not having brothers only older sisters that never guide or gave any advise and helping with other things. since all that happens it has been almost 2 years that i don't have any contact with people, even with family they don't understand what I feel at least my mom. I would like to have advice from people who are going or went through situations like this or similar that would help me a lot.

zharl

Sounds like you went through a bit of a culture shock as well.

Welcome to the forum! While I personally can't speak to your experience, as I've never actually left the U.S. let alone moved to a completely different place, this community is pretty accepting and diverse; there's bound to be someone around here who has had a similar experience. Feel free to say "hi" if I'm around!

Hannalein

Welcome Cris :)
I'm new too & my background story has similarities with yours, but yours is definitely (much) harder (with culture shock and everything).
My family moved too when I was younger (but not to another country), however it changed me. Before I was happy and quite extroverted, after not so much... Well long story short, now I seem to have SA & since a few months panick attacks. What I just wanted to say: you are not alone. If you want to talk -> text me :)

Cris_river

Welcome Cris :)
I'm new too & my background story has similarities with yours, but yours is definitely (much) harder (with culture shock and everything).
My family moved too when I was younger (but not to another country), however it changed me. Before I was happy and quite extroverted, after not so much... Well long story short, now I seem to have SA & since a few months panick attacks. What I just wanted to say: you are not alone. If you want to talk -> text me :)
Hannalein I too was very extroverted and I used be I think extra, but after all that things change in a snap. besides all I think having SA has showed me how majority of people actually are, but still sucks at the end tho. thank you hope you get better with the SA

zharl

The whole idea of "introverted" and "extraverted" is kind of weird in my opinion. Personally, I don't think the difference between the two is not so black and white, but more of a gradient. Using me as an example, I think I'm an introvert, but I probably come across as extraverted both online and IRL.

Essentially I like and get along with people; in addition, I'm good at making conversation and can navigate a decent amount of social situations pretty well. Despite all of this, I come out of these events drained an exhausted--a classic trait of an introvert. I expend energy to be social. Extraverts are supposed to draw energy from social situations...at least I think that's how it works.

Erm...sorry I think I went off on a bit of a tangent there. XD