So I picked up my art supplies again

Harleyq

Even though I can't judge it from professional point of view, the drawing looks great. Also, did you aquire this great skill or are you naturally talented?

I guess I'm naturally talented. I've never taken an art class except for in 7th grade when I had to. So I mostly learned everything on my own, which is how I prefer it. I know I'm nowhere near as advanced as I would be if I got professional training but there's just something about structured art classes that I don't like.

However, when I started drawing I sucked ass lol. This was my first portrait, in 8th or 9th grade:

14mdiz6.jpg

Last edited:

this_portrait

For a first portrait, it's not bad. At least, I don't think it is.

You capture the shadows and lighting really well on the previous drawing. I really like it a lot!

hippiechild

That looks awesome, definitely better than anything I could do!

At the moment it looks a little flat though.. I think adding in more value to the face, accentuating the curvature, might add more depth and really bring it to life. Also, maybe really emphasizing the eyes, darkening pupils, reinforcing iris striations and using some shadow to show the curve of the eyeball itself would add more life and vibrance.

Your Kurt Cobain drawing is the best example of this ever ever ever, which makes me think that you can make this drawing even better than it is! :D

Harleyq

That looks awesome, definitely better than anything I could do!

At the moment it looks a little flat though.. I think adding in more value to the face, accentuating the curvature, might add more depth and really bring it to life. Also, maybe really emphasizing the eyes, darkening pupils, reinforcing iris striations and using some shadow to show the curve of the eyeball itself would add more life and vibrance.

Your Kurt Cobain drawing is the best example of this ever ever ever, which makes me think that you can make this drawing even better than it is! :D

The real-life version of this portrait is a little more detailed than what got captured on the computer. I didn't have a scanner like I did with Kurt's picture so some of the shading and detail got fuzzed out when I snapped the photo :(

Thank you for the advice, though. It's still a work in progress. The eyes could definitely be worked on some more. I was thinking of doing them up more anyways because the irises are warped. I could make the face more defined, too, especially around the chin and the top of her cheeks. I want to keep it a little cartoon-y looking but not necessarily flat.

I'm taking a few notes from you and Nack so I can clean it up a bit more when I go to the library today. Thanks!

Last edited:

hippiechild

Omg.. I hate trying to transfer drawings onto computers! It never works quite right and really leeches the detail out of the picture...eugh!

I can't wait to see how this turns out when you're satisfied... or at least as satisfied as you're satisfied with being :)

Nack

Banned
Omg.. I hate trying to transfer drawings onto computers! It never works quite right and really leeches the detail out of the picture...eugh!

I can't wait to see how this turns out when you're satisfied... or at least as satisfied as you're satisfied with being :)

I think when you scanning images especially drawings or what not, you need to set the DPI quite high. I'm not too sure about that, since i don't scan any of my drawings. But i've hear 300dpi is best... I'm still pretty slow at intergrating technology into art.