Small everyday goals

Beyondshy

I was talking to a friend who wants to help me get on with life without letting social anxiety hold me back and he suggested that I set myself a small goal everyday. Nothing major, just starting with something small and building upon it until I feel I can achieve more and more. Baby steps he calls it. Well my baby step for tomorrow is to go to the supermarket by myself to do some shopping. Like I said, nothing major but for me it will be a challenge. Especially once I reach the checkout. Do any of you have a small goal you'd like to achieve today/tomorrow?

mrb

sounds like a plan to me go for it , you cant hide for the rest of your life , if you do you will have no life , so go for it , and look for the most misarable checkout person in the line , they dont talk much lol

Doomed2Die

Essential.

If you get stuck on one thing, break it down, if you still are stuck move onto something else.

And for the question... I have not thought about it myself. Probably something small like, to wake up early.

SickJoke

I was talking to a friend who wants to help me get on with life without letting social anxiety hold me back and he suggested that I set myself a small goal everyday. Nothing major, just starting with something small and building upon it until I feel I can achieve more and more. Baby steps he calls it. Well my baby step for tomorrow is to go to the supermarket by myself to do some shopping. Like I said, nothing major but for me it will be a challenge. Especially once I reach the checkout. Do any of you have a small goal you'd like to achieve today/tomorrow?

Your friend sounds like an awesome person, keep him around! :D And remember as you're completing these goals, it's important to recognize each of them as steps of improvement. So congratulate yourself and realize that you're becoming a better person.

Beyondshy

You sound so like my friend mrb, you pretty much said exactly what he said to me! And thanks for the tip to look for the most miserable person, that'll make me smile when I go to queue up! :)

Beyondshy

Thanks for the help Doomed2Die. I like the fact that I can start off small and slowly do more and more (hopefully!) because before I've been trying to do things that seem so out of reach that I practically give up before I start.

Beyondshy

Thank you SickJoke. You're right my friend is pretty great. I've helped him when he had a few problems so now he's trying to persuade me to let him do the same for me. I find that hard! I am fine helping other people but when it comes to letting others help me I find that so hard, I don't know why!

Errordotocx

Yeah, I guess I have small goals set for day to day. Mainly just keeping up my exposure to talking...or just trying to talk with people for longer periods of time. So I guess thats my small steps. Although I do have someone I know moving here from Cali to become a room mate with me in June and he promises he'll cure my extreme shyness once and for all. Which basically means i'll be put into uncomfortable situations nearly everyday...high anxiety situations where i'll either succeed or fail. Which while it kind of makes me nervous, i'm actually rather excited. Because in the past few months i've been finding out that I tend to develop better in situations where you either succeed or fail. Anxiety will be at a high, I will be tense and extremely nervous. But it's for the best...and I can honestly say...honestly that "I want to be put into these situations.". This has been with me long enough and i'm ready to wave goodbye as it fades away.

Beyondshy

Yeah, I guess I have small goals set for day to day. Mainly just keeping up my exposure to talking...or just trying to talk with people for longer periods of time. So I guess thats my small steps. Although I do have someone I know moving here from Cali to become a room mate with me in June and he promises he'll cure my extreme shyness once and for all. Which basically means i'll be put into uncomfortable situations nearly everyday...high anxiety situations where i'll either succeed or fail. Which while it kind of makes me nervous, i'm actually rather excited. Because in the past few months i've been finding out that I tend to develop better in situations where you either succeed or fail. Anxiety will be at a high, I will be tense and extremely nervous. But it's for the best...and I can honestly say...honestly that "I want to be put into these situations.". This has been with me long enough and i'm ready to wave goodbye as it fades away.

I have someone coming to visit me in June and I want to be able to at least control my anxiety so I can show her around without being in such a panic. That's what has made me want to do something to move forward.
Going to the supermarket wasn't that bad today. On the way there I saw a neighbour so I stopped and talked for a little while. That made me feel good before I even got to the shop! The only negative thing about today was that I could feel myself blushing when I got to the checkout. I don't know what I can do about that though!

Errordotocx

I have someone coming to visit me in June and I want to be able to at least control my anxiety so I can show her around without being in such a panic. That's what has made me want to do something to move forward.
Going to the supermarket wasn't that bad today. On the way there I saw a neighbour so I stopped and talked for a little while. That made me feel good before I even got to the shop! The only negative thing about today was that I could feel myself blushing when I got to the checkout. I don't know what I can do about that though!

Yep, keep getting out there. It's for the best. As far as the blushing thing goes, I would say jut acknowledge it...which you have...and just say "so what?" to yourself. If theres nothin you can do about it then I would just stop caring, it's what I have to do with my acne. Besides, if someone doesn't like you or disrespects you because of this than **** 'em. They aren't worth your time.

But yeah, 2009 is going to be a year of change for me. Theres lots of things that should be happening that will shake things up. When June arrives it's going to be a time of both extreme fear and extreme excitement. As last night I told the people i'm moving out with that when we do, whatever happens don't let me back out of a situation. So i've pretty much sealed my fate. I know i'll somewhat resent telling them this, but it's for the best I believe.

Rise Against

Just keep pushing yourself and just remember to stay calm and relaxed. Ive been setting small goals for myself also. When i started my goals i would try to talk to one unfamiliar person at school per day. Ive been getting much more comfortable and confident, now i try to start at least 5 conversations per day at school with unfamiliar people. Even though its been a fairly stressful process, its actually been a lot less painful than i thought it would be, and i am even making some new friends. Good Luck.