Skipping meetings of the club i belong to

Angie_05

Okay...so I am a senior at my university now and I am in the psychology club/honor society. I joined the club because it looks good on grad school applications.

I haven't been to a single meeting in 3 years. The president mentioned that to me once. The only time she ever spoke to me.

So today I knew there was this huge meeting that they really wanted to get everyone to go to...I mean...they were offering free pizza. But since I have absolutely no friends in the psychology club, I didn't go. But as I was walking to my afternoon class, the meeting ended and they all walked out right as I was walking by the room.

No one said anything (probably because we don't know each other) but I wonder if they think I'm some sort of freak.

Sometimes I feel like screaming "I am a social phobic...leave me alone."

My SP is embarrassing me. This is such an awful thing to have.

paul

Hey... I know just what you mean about this:

Sometimes I feel like screaming "I am a social phobic...leave me alone."

Too bad SA doesn't allow us to do that... I'm sorry that you didn't go - don't feel embarassed though. Although SA is a horrible thing to have, thinking of it as a huge negative that you hate will not help you. A positive attitude is key in getting over this horrible problem.

Maybe joining a club is too much too fast. With SA you can't do something big like a party or a HUGE public speech and have it go away - it will most likely just make you more nervous - you first need to conquer really little things so you have a foundation - so you know that you can overcome the disorder.

Remember - you're not alone with this SA thing - we're all here, and we understand what you're feeling. Good luck with this.

black_mamba

Angie_05 said:
But since I have absolutely no friends in the psychology club, I didn't go.

I've done similar in the past. I've lost count of the number of clubs and societies I joined in order to simply make friends....space exploration society, creative writing, boxing club, scuba diving, manga society, etc etc and this year is gonna be the turn of the 'juggling and circus skills' society.

I always make a good start and manage to force myself to go to at least 1 meeting but my social phobia kicks in and I tend to dwindle away and never go back.

Having no friends in a society is not such a big deal. It doesn't make you a looser by default yet I still feel silly arriving to the gym on my own when all the other girls have brought their friends for support, they can have a giggle together about the sweaty boxing gloves and annoying instructors...but whos to say I can't join in? The only way to feel included/wanted and therefore make friends is to contribute somehow to the group. Otherwise, whats the point in remaining in the club?

Have it on your resumé by all means but anyone can make this stuff up and it tends to go unverified.

So I'm not sure which is worse - putting uneccessary pressure on ourselves to be social via societies or remaining in them for the sake of our academic reputations... 8O

Toad

Angie_05 said:
I joined the club because it looks good on grad school applications.

Heh...yeah...I joined the NSCS (national society of collegiate scholars) for the same reason. I don't intend to go to any of the meeting though...the induction ceremony was like...last weekend or something didn't go to that one lol. Think my next meeting is like Tuesday at 7 heh...not going.

Fighter86

Angie_05 said:
as I was walking to my afternoon class, the meeting ended and they all walked out right as I was walking by the room.

No one said anything (probably because we don't know each other) but I wonder if they think I'm some sort of freak.

Nope, I don't think they were thinking u were some sort of freak. Some probably don't even remember u since u haven't attended any meetings for 3 years. Besides, I think its pretty common that people join such clubs only to back out of it later. If anyone ever asks, u could say something like 'I changed my mind about the club' or 'I decided to join another club' :wink:

Angie_05

It's so weird because I am so involved in the psychology department because I work there and I know almost all the teachers from classes. If I was face to face with one student I could say hi.

Put me in a group full of people though, I freak out. I imagine what it would be like to just go to a meeting for once. I imagine people starring at me, wondering why I finally decided to come. I feel like I would be the center of attention because of puzzlement.

jaim38

Recently I've been getting a lot of emails and finally a letter to join a college leadership honor society. In the letter, they said my selection was based on my academic achievement and leadership potential. I've been ignoring the emails for a while so I guess they finally sent me a letter. I don't know if I should join.

First of all, I'm a recovering agoraphobic. This semester is the first time in so many years that I'm taking an offline course. And it took me a lot of freakin courage to actually go to class. I've been telling myself to do this one step at a time. Transitioning from agoraphobic to "leader" all in 1 semester is just too big of a leap for me.

Moreover, my ideal job is actually more technical than social in nature. I don't envision leading/supervising people. I envision myself working with computers, programming, ****yzing data, etc. So, I know what i want in terms of a career. How is a leadership honor society going to help me in this?

jaim38

I was in a national honor society in high school. I volunteered over 30 hours and was very active. I went to almost every meeting too. I remembered the induction ceremony very well. It was in my junior year. I wore black pants, some flip flops, and a blue "princess" t-shirt which I still have to this day. Everyone else wore business casual. I felt like I dressed out of place. Anyways, we were standing in line and I got some weird looks from people. Then it was time for me to walk on stage, and I heard some laughters. When I walked around, some people were looking and chuckling under their breaths. Some of the parents too. But back then, I was a rebel and just didn't care.

I didn't learn anything, if at all, from joining NHS. I was a robot, blindly obeying and doing what I was told. 60 hours required for membership? No problem! I just picked several places, such as a library or hospital, to volunteer at. I didn't volunteer out of the kindness of my heart, or because I felt like helping people. I only did it because NHS told me to, because if I didn't get the required amount of hours, I'd be kicked out. Plus I wanted to put NHS on my college application. I didn't realize what the spirit of volunteering was all about back then.

Never again. Now, I had an offer to join a collegiate national honor society, but I'm hesitating for the right reasons. I don't want to join something just because it would look good on my resume.

R3K

's okay I skipped about 900 class sessions when I was in college before I dropped out. I just imagine the teachers calling my name out for roll call and everyone looking at each other... my *** is sleeping on the beach with the sea water tickling my toes and some smooth trance music going into my earphones... ahhhh college :cool:...