skin highly sensitive to touch

cowboyup

I was gifted a 1 hour massage (head to toe). I've had massages in the past, but they were never pleasant experiences. In fact, instead of relaxing time, it was a nail biter and it hurt. It's been 2-3 years since and never wanted another one. Well, the other day my back was so bad that I could not stand straight and was in a terrible amount of pain. Hence, the massage.

I was very apprehensive today to go due to past experiences and was told to "have fun and enjoy it"....since it was a gift, I am not going to be rude, obviously. I was grateful. That being said, I still didn't like it. I just can't relax and enjoy it when I know a stranger is going to be touching my bare flesh.

I am probably the only person who does not like it...least I feel that way.

My problem is that when someone else to touch my skin I get goose bumps and it's almost to the point to where it hurts. To just about everyone else, they don't understand.

It's petty and silly, I know.

Question is, is this something maybe related to anxiety ... does anyone else feel similar?

..I also don't get my hair done nor nails for the same matter.

SierraSage

I am sensitive in this way too...but for me..it's more of a discomfort with having someone I don't know touch me in an intimate manner. I am very reserved about people I am not close to seeing or touching me. Someone massaging me would feel painful both physically and psychologically to me. I also do not like people I don't trust completely seeing me in any state of undress...including getting changed in a dressing room in front of other women. I can't say if it would be okay if a boyfriend rubbed my back...Ive never had a boyfriend or even a date...so I don't know.

jaim38

My skin is also sensitive to touch. Just yesterday, after I brushed my teeth and getting ready for bed, I felt water against my legs so I looked down but saw no water. The carpet felt kind of wet too. It's like some invisible gnome watered my leg and carpet :idontknow:

Xervello

I was gifted a 1 hour massage (head to toe). I've had massages in the past, but they were never pleasant experiences. In fact, instead of relaxing time, it was a nail biter and it hurt. It's been 2-3 years since and never wanted another one. Well, the other day my back was so bad that I could not stand straight and was in a terrible amount of pain. Hence, the massage.

I was very apprehensive today to go due to past experiences and was told to "have fun and enjoy it"....since it was a gift, I am not going to be rude, obviously. I was grateful. That being said, I still didn't like it. I just can't relax and enjoy it when I know a stranger is going to be touching my bare flesh.

I am probably the only person who does not like it...least I feel that way.

My problem is that when someone else to touch my skin I get goose bumps and it's almost to the point to where it hurts. To just about everyone else, they don't understand.

It's petty and silly, I know.

Question is, is this something maybe related to anxiety ... does anyone else feel similar?

..I also don't get my hair done nor nails for the same matter.

Interesting. I know this is a highly personal question, but do you experience the same goosebump sensations/discomfort when a significant other touches you? I've never had a massage before, professional or otherwise, but I'd imagine I wouldn't like it because I would be too tense and embarrassed - thinking about what the masseuse is thinking during, trying my best to pretend like I'm relaxed/enjoying it, etc. Perhaps that's some of what's going on with you, and your anxiety is manifesting itself physically in that way.