singing

_Brittany_

i have never sung in front of anyone not even in front of my friends, i just can't do it. like i'll be in the car with them (my friends or family) and they'll all start to sing and i'll just sit there quietly thinking "how can they do that?" it's kinda frustrates me! you know what I mean? how can people be so confident and others be so shy? I just don' get it... it's not fair :(

I understand the singing thing. I've always wanted to try but I've never even been able to do it when I'm completely by my self because I'm so worried someone will hear me. There's just different types of people I guess, we just happen to be the shy ones who can't join in ):

Leki

My favourite part of the day is when i'm in my car alone and i can just sing to myself. I have a terrible voice and can't sing to safe my life but i love it.
I can't sing with anyone else around though

Zettie

I totally know what you guys mean. I never sing in front of people only when I'm by myself. Even then I'm worried if my neighbors can hear me so I can't just let go and have fun.

EmilyOlive

Brittany,

I understand completely ... but interestingly, I have more trouble singing in front of friends than in front of an audience of people who have never spoken to me!

~Emily

lonely_world

If I ever do get the courage to sing at Karaoke one of these days, i'll let you guys know what was thrown at me. :lol:

PhantomPod

I used to feel like that. And if I was driving in my car listening to my music with the windows down, I would either roll my windows up or turn my music down when I stopped at a red light. I got over that one day though and I don't really care now. I love just being in my car by myself singing. Though if others are in the car with me I do still feel a bit uncomfortable at times and I don't sing as loudly and get as into it as I normally would.

Carstuar

I almost always sing to myself when I'm listening to music alone. If someone walks in on me then, the embarrassment is unbearable.
I've only been able to sing to one other person, and that was over the phone. I was extremely nervous then too.

xSleepy

Oh ya I love singing, but cant not get myself to do it infront of other people.
Ive always loved to sing ever since I was a kid. So for me its a big risk singing infront of other people cause they might think im horrible! So I just keep my dirty mouth shut, lol

But Im actaully really lucky because im home alone almost all the time and so I can sing whenever I want to. Its really fun
:D

x000x

I know how you guys feel. I wish I could sing, but i'm to afraid to do it (even alone). I'm trying to start a band and i play guitar and i'm trying to write some lyrics, but i'm to scared too sing them.

Angel_Of_Death

Forget about singing, in front of most people I have a hard time just listening to music. And I LOVE music...I just listen to it when I'm by myself.

kuhtreen

Maybe next time you're in the car with friends or family and they are singing along, turn the music up loud so that no one can hear you, and problem solved! You get to sing! I'm sure you could get used to it in time :)
Plus, if everyone is singing, the attention isn't really on you. Everyone is probably listening to their own voice, not anyone elses. At least that's how it is when I sing in the car with my sister. :)

n0id

I play in a band where we are all kind of lazy and just go eh, who should sing now? We all sing really bad (I play in a punk band, so it doesn't matter really:p).

Allthough I would say my personality isn't fit for playing in a punk band, an old friend of mine and I started the band, so I feel I should stick to it as long as he does. And also I really like punk. I also play in the band looking to overcome my shyness. It hasn't been any progress so far though and I'm still shy around the band members (after 4 years :()

But I think it's odd that I am able to sing but not talk. I think the other band members agree to that. Maybe it's because when you play in a band and have a microphone in front of you, you just have to. No other choice.

GloomySunday

Great thread. For me, this is a strange one, but I feel that my life has two halves. Before I developed social anxiety my life was quite different. I used to have ambitions to be a singer and wrote many songs. Though I never made it, I did perform live concerts in front of people, got played on the radio and even appeared on television playing music. I was quite cavalier back then and didn't think twice about nerves and the rest of it. I couldn't do it now, though it's a shame because performing songs expressing how you feel is such a wonderful outlet for your emotions.

kuhtreen

GloomySunday said:
Great thread. For me, this is a strange one, but I feel that my life has two halves. Before I developed social anxiety my life was quite different. I used to have ambitions to be a singer and wrote many songs. Though I never made it, I did perform live concerts in front of people, got played on the radio and even appeared on television playing music. I was quite cavalier back then and didn't think twice about nerves and the rest of it. I couldn't do it now, though it's a shame because performing songs expressing how you feel is such a wonderful outlet for your emotions.

I have social phobia, but I still plan on becoming a very successful singer. I don't know how I can deal with people the public eye, but...I'm hoping that I'll be cured by the time I make it.

The only time I can sing is in my car alone. Not stopped at a traffic light where people can see. The perfect situation is at night when it's pitch black and nobody can see me in the car.

I also can't listen to music without headphones in front of anyone. If I'm alone in a room with my music and and anyone comes in, I immediately turn it off.

Walk

kuhtreen said:
GloomySunday said:

I have social phobia, but I still plan on becoming a very successful singer. I don't know how I can deal with people the public eye, but...I'm hoping that I'll be cured by the time I make it.

You know, the thing about you kuhtreen, is that you already know you have talent. All is left is for you to deal with stage fright.

I am almost confident that with time, you'll be able to perform in front of people. I just know it.

Just look at Dane Cook or Morrissey... both started out really shy.

GloomySunday, I'm not sure, but don't you think you just have "rust" from not performing for a while?

In the words of Morrissey of the Smiths, "shyness is nice and shyness can stop you from doing all the things in life you'd like to".