Should I talk to my psychology teacher about social anxiety?

Srijita52

Lately my anxiety's been getting really worse or maybe it seems worse because I'm actively trying to deal with it. And then there're these depression episodes when I just don't want to get up from bed. The thing is I also have a very busy schedule where I have to be around people constantly. So its become a vicious circle of
anxiety-facing anxiety-feeling isolated in social situations-depression and/or feeling really drained at the end of the day. Note I've to deal with all of these by myself and there's no help.
My studies are suffering a lot because of this, as usually I'm too drained/depressed at the end of the day to focus on anything. I've to cut classes sometimes just so I can take a break. It doesn't help that I'm surrounded by judgemental people everywhere who keep complaining how I don't participate enough or how lazy I am, including the teachers. I've always been considered as arrogant/lazy/ unfocused for skipping group projects or not being 100% consistent. Lately I've heard some cruel comments by my teachers, I love people who can live without letting these things get to them but sadly they do get to me very much and make me further anxious/depressed. So I'm wondering if I should talk to the teachers and explain them my situation but what if it backfires? What if they think of it as an excuse?
Sorry if it made no sense. I was having a hard time articulating.

DeadmanWalking

It wouldn't hurt to explain the situation to them. Maybe they'll recommend you to a therapist or help you enroll into a program that'll help you. If they insult you, then report it. They shouldn't be doing that to you and you shouldn't let them walk over you and get away with it.

ImNotMyIllness

Yes, you should talk to your teachers. At U.S Universities, students that have SA and other disorders can have their assignments picked up for them with notes from the lecture that day.
Your school doesn't seem to have this policy (out of ignorance). Just tell them, it's better than them thinking you're lazy and or rebellious.

Niceguy23

Maybe its better to go to a counselor instead. A teacher may just tell you thats life and suck it up. I had a teacher say that to me. Not trying to tell you don't say anything. Your teachers may be considerate but I think if you can a counselor would be better choice.

Srijita52

Maybe its better to go to a counselor instead. A teacher may just tell you thats life and suck it up. I had a teacher say that to me. Not trying to tell you don't say anything. Your teachers may be considerate but I think if you can a counselor would be better choice.

Thank you, yeah I know a counsellor would be a better choice. But unfortunately that's not a practical option for me at the moment. Actually I'm thinking if I should suck it up instead and try not to think too much about their comments and just continue what I'm doing. I doubt how much they'll actually care even if I tell them.

emre43

Thank you, yeah I know a counsellor would be a better choice. But unfortunately that's not a practical option for me at the moment. Actually I'm thinking if I should suck it up instead and try not to think too much about their comments and just continue what I'm doing. I doubt how much they'll actually care even if I tell them.

Any self-respecting teacher, especially a psychology teacher, would be more understanding than to tell you to pull yourself together.

Be brave! Do it! What is the worst that could happen?

The only things to regret in life are the things you didn't do when you had the chance.

Srijita52

Any self-respecting teacher, especially a psychology teacher, would be more understanding than to tell you to pull yourself together.

Be brave! Do it! What is the worst that could happen?

The only things to regret in life are the things you didn't do when you had the chance.

Hmm I'm thinking about it. I'll see if I get the chance, maybe you're right. At worst, he might just tell to suck it up. It can't be worse than what I'm already facing right?

emre43

Hmm I'm thinking about it. I'll see if I get the chance, maybe you're right. At worst, he might just tell to suck it up. It can't be worse than what I'm already facing right?

Indeed. Not much to worry about at all. In fact you will feel better having done so and managed to tell somebody about it.