Should I quit my job during training ?

SamTheSammich

Hi guys , I just started working at dollar general 3 weeks ago as a sales associate and its also my first job. As well as the first one I've ever applied for.
The first couple of days I worked I was really nervous and I still am (especially right before I go to work,though when I'm there and about an hour into the day I feel much better). I also have really bad stomach problems which isn't only connected to my ulcers and diet but as well as my anxiety in general. I've only called out sick once before today. Today I called in sick because something happened earlier that caused my stomach to have indescribable pain (it happens often with me). I actually called in an hour early unlike last time where I could only call after 8 and my manager was nice to me at the time. But today when I called in she yelled asking why I was calling a couple of minutes before I came in ,and I told her that I'm not I'm calling in an hour early and she said okay 4 but still why?
I told her I tried my best to get better over the past couple of hours but it hasn't improved at all, I realize I should've called earlier but it kinda just came up.. that's the problem with my stomach is that it starts hurting REALLY bad at the worse times possible and its dreadful,up to the point where I can't even move. And yes I have gone to the doctor about it and got it checked out and I do have meds but they haven't been helping much.
I was trying my best to explain and she yelled again but quickly said okay thanks and hung up on me really fast .. Now I feel even worse, I actually cried for a little bit and its adding even more to the pain. There's already a lot piled on it now and I am really trying my best but sometimes its too much for me. Considering its also before christmas it makes it even worse and makes me feel even more guilty.. but I am really at the point of quitting. I honestly don't think its the right one for me. The responsibility itself is really hard and I know everyones gotta do it , but I just don't think running a store with one other person with it constantly being busy is really right for me. Especially when one coworker gets overly mad at me for not doing something I'm about to do in literally 2 seconds.
I try not to take all of this too personally but I'm really not used to any of this. I just hope I don't have to put in a two week notice so I don't work any more longer, has anyone else quit during training and hasn't put in a two week notice?
What do you think ? Is my mental health more important or should I give in to all the peer pressure and "man-up"? I feel bad either way what choice I take but I'd like to take the most beneficial to my health at least without doing too much damage to others :/

marcy5269

Hello, SamTheSammich,

I just went through quitting two jobs during my first week of work within a period of 4 months. I graduated in July and was very excited to land my first job after graduation only a couple of weeks after graduation. It was a great job, great pay, and I was enthused about it requiring my degree. Well, because of my social anxiety, I quit after only my third day of work. I felt depressed for weeks for dropping such a great opportunity but I knew I had to look for a new job. I landed another job three months later and quit after my first day, for the same reason. My social anxiety gets so bad that it also affects me physically. I blush, my hands shake, I feel panic attacks coming on, and I also get stomach pain. My stomach pain used to be so bad that I went over to Mexico to get a colonoscopy after going to the doctors here so much and seeing no results. I still have stomach pain, but not as bad as before. Probiotics, apple cider vinegar, and watching your diet, help a lot. As for my anxiety, that's something I obviously still have to work on because this job thing is recent. I quit my last one just about 6 weeks ago. I got myself a job as a tutor for now because it allows me to work more independently and build my own schedule, which helps keep my anxiety down. I earn less as a whole and the job is seasonal, so I know I have to do something about my anxiety because soon I'll have to get myself another job. I have had enough with this rollercoaster I have been dealing with that I am trying to set up my first appointment with a psychologist. I don't know what to tell you aside from doing what you feel is best for you now. I didn't give a two weeks notice because I think that the two weeks notice is meant so that someone comes in on time to take over your job, but if you are still in training, it's not like you are indispensable. I know many would disagree with me on that one. Nevertheless, in the end, ask yourself if they have your back or if they care about you enough for you to stress about leaving them during training. In the end, you know what you need to do for yourself. The biggest stressor for me after quitting was not the companies I left, but disappointing myself & going through the embarrassment of people finding out that I didn't keep either of my jobs. But no one really understands what any of this is like except those of us who go through it. Good luck and I hope you deal with all of this soon.

dannyboy65

I have a similar experience.

I worked at subway last summer. My boss told me that when I got into work on my first day to be there exactly at 8 am. He gave me my uniform and 2 booklets, I read both booklets. The next day I went in at 8 exactly. My boss was terrible to me, compared to the other employees he was toughest on me.

He gave me 94 hours every 2 weeks. When one of my co workers did something wrong he didn't do anything about it, I do something wrong and he gets mad at me. He judged me every way he could, he judged me so much that he said I was standing wrong. He got under my skin every time I seen him I would have anxiety attacks. He never smiled when he talked to me.

One time I called in sick because I was puking. I called in 3 hours before and he yelled at me on the phone then without letting me speak or saying bye he hung up. I was terrified, I put on my uniform and walked to work. He told me if I fixed our computers issue I would be sent home. I fixed it then had to stay an extra 8 hours.

My job was only summer employment, at the beginning of the summer there was 8 employees (including me) by the end there was only 3. My boss, his assistant manager, and me. This made the rest of the summer hell. Our days off was a day when we worked 10-4.

In the end I stuck through the whole summer. I stayed and helped them right until I went back to school. The **** wrote me as quit, and that means I will have a harder time getting a job.

My advice to you, don't quit. Show up everyday ready to take any challenge. When someone pushes you down, get back up. Best of luck to you.

LazyHermitCrab

Hmm anytime someone yells at me i just calmly walk out... :/ it's your first job so i would just stick with it until you find a new one. if it's affecting your health, you should quit now...

Sacrament

Yes, you have to man up. There's nothing quite like the feeling of accomplishment after you've successfully done something that took a lot of hard work. In order to be able to pick the fruit from a tree, you have to be able to carry that tree on your back for a while.

Try to focus on the good things about that particular job you're training for. Does it make you feel good about yourself? Do you get home and, despite being tired from all the anxiety, you feel like you've done something important for your life in general? How would you feel if you were to quit right now, after the whole "relief" from not having to worry about the anxiety anymore? Wouldn't it be a serious step back?

Mind you, it's okay to leave if you're being bullied or if the working conditions are a bunch of crap, but only if you're able to find something better instead of taking steps back.

Remember, a step forward is always progress, no matter how small the step. It's a lot easier to take a step backward than it is the other way around, and you really don't want to be the cause for your own progress being hindered.