Should I apologize?

cowboyup

haven't been on in a while...brief intermission :(

So, the g-parents have come and gone. Survived that. It went (as usual) better than expected, so that's good.

Yesterday, I was up by 3:40 am and had kids from 5 am - til about 5:30 pm
Needless to say, I was exhausted as I have been battling insomnia (about 3-4 hours a night for the past few weeks) and I've been weening myself off anti-depressants so coupled with that, I've been rather unpleasant but yesterday was the icing on the cake. SIL went to 2 stores before coming home from work and then pumped so I put in a little extra time with kids. Actually, my niece fell asleep for about 30 minutes in my lap and I closed my eyes for about the same time...that's how tired I've been.

I digress, anyhow, SIL asked if I'd like to go to Costco and out to eat after she pumped. I kindly declined her offer "thanks, but no thanks. I need a little quiet time" (I just outright told her) She acted OK at the time and said "OK, we'll see you later" and away they went.

This morning, I ran into her whilst getting my breakfast. She acted distant and a bit put out towards me. Fast forward a few hours, and she still seemed that way. Ignored my "hi how are you" as well.

Look, I know she works full time, she's tired as well...etc. But so am I. Or am I supposed to be the robot who doesn't get tired? It's not like I sit all day and file my nails and watch TV while the kids run amok. I cook, clean, bathe, do about 5 loads of laundry each few days, take time out to help nephew to study his phonics and read to them as well as take them to the park for about an hour every couple of days, take nephew back and forth to preschool...etc. So, I am busy as well.

Thing is, being the anxious-ridden person I am, this is bothering me...did I do something to offend her? Should I apologize? Or just forget about it?

I realize it was a nice gesture but to be honest, I end up with the kids in my lap while my food gets cold and she gets to eat, and at Costco, I am the one 'standing by the cart' while she gets things...
I know, because I've taken her up on offer more than once.

Side note: when they left, I laid down for a few minutes of peace and quiet, only to wake up at 7 this morning...so I am good and rested.

PLUS I have the kids all this weekend as they are enjoying a weekend at a hotel/spa for their anniversary.

DeadmanWalking

Well, depending on how you said what you said, you might have, but it also depends on how your sister-in-law takes things. For some people, simply being rejected may be an offense to them. My suggestion would be to just wait things out a bit until they come back and see how she's acting. If she's still being cold to you, then confront her about it and see what's the matter. She may just not have heard you or had too many things on her mind.

cowboyup

Well, depending on how you said what you said, you might have, but it also depends on how your sister-in-law takes things. For some people, simply being rejected may be an offense to them. My suggestion would be to just wait things out a bit until they come back and see how she's acting. If she's still being cold to you, then confront her about it and see what's the matter. She may just not have heard you or had too many things on her mind.

I said it in a nice way...I thanked her for asking as well and I didn't think I sounded condescending...but perhaps - maybe I did.

Like you said, I'll wait it out a bit. Thanks :)

JuiceB

I don't see the need for an apology.

"Thanks, but no thanks. I need a little quiet time."

It is what it is. I can't imagine what its like to be you for a day. Seems like your foot's on the pedal 24/7. Sooner or later you're gonna have to take a break (or put your foot on the brakes) and if she doesn't understand that then too bad.

Or you could just try to explain it to her.

ImNotMyIllness

I agree with Xervello. Maybe she is going through something. It's probably best to wait a bit. Watching kids is exhausting! They DEMAND your attention, and cleaning/laundry/baths/creating meals, that's a full time job in of itself. Even when you do have some alone time, you get to hear the kids yell and scream. It's very taxing!
Your SIL has no idea.