Shipwrecked!

Lea

Banned
I don't know.. I'm no expert In survival or anything :D But I imagine it's quite easy to get infections and stuff if your run down and end up with some sort of wound. Not to mention some stuff like colds and Diarrhea could easily kill you In situations like that so if it has any medication it would be worth taking. /QUOTE]

F* cold or diarrhoea, it's not life threatening (or maybe, maybe, but I don't have experience with it yet :)). But antibiotics could be useful. I had several times in my life infected wounds and think antibiotics saved my life.

Danfalc

Banned
F* cold or diarrhoea, it's not life threatening (or maybe, maybe, but I don't have experience with it yet :)). But antibiotics could be useful. I had several times in my life infected wounds and think antibiotics saved my life.

You might be surprised to find out Diarrhoea can be deadly. It's a big killer still in a lot of third world countries. It dehydrates you so bad which is obviously an issue if you don't have constant assess to clean water.

Linky because I know you like to read up on stuff

Did You Know that Diarrhea Can Be Very Deadly? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

DespairSoul

You have been sailing with friends in an isolated area of the Pacific - your yacht has hit an unchartered reef and is sinking fast. You all have only a few minutes to salvage what you can from the yacht, launch the empty life raft and make your way (avoiding the reef sharks) to a nearby jungle covered island. You hope to survive there for the many months it may take before a chance of being rescued comes along (if at all…)

You are limited to what you can carry in the life raft and must choose no more than ten (10) items from the list

What will you take?

Binoculars
25lt container of water
Map of the Pacific Ocean
First aid kit
Fishing line and tackle
6m x 6m tarpaulin
2 paddles
30m nylon rope
Small shaving mirror
Bottle of vodka
5lt can of petrol
Spare sail
Cooking pot
Box of emergency rations
AM/FM radio
Box of matches
Small axe
Flares
9 mm pistol
Box of 9mm ammunition

1. aid kit
2. fishing line and tackle
3. 6m x 6m traupalin
4. small axe
5. petrol
6. box of matches
7. 9mm pistol
8. 9mm amunition
9. Binoculars
10. Flares

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
You have been sailing with friends in an isolated area of the Pacific - your yacht has hit an unchartered reef and is sinking fast. You all have only a few minutes to salvage what you can from the yacht, launch the empty life raft and make your way (avoiding the reef sharks) to a nearby jungle covered island. You hope to survive there for the many months it may take before a chance of being rescued comes along (if at all…)

You are limited to what you can carry in the life raft and must choose no more than ten (10) items from the list

What will you take?
If I've been sailing with my friends, and they're not in the life raft (it's specifically empty), and they're not on the list of what I can take, does this mean I'm abandoning my friends?

coyote

I don't plan to stay on the island long

2 paddles
30m nylon rope
Spare sail
Small axe
6m x 6m tarpaulin

With these items, and the wood and other resources available on the island (jungle), I would be able to construct a sailing craft with which to leave the island. Additionally, the tarp can be used for shelter and for collecting rain water.

Map of the Pacific Ocean - for navigational purposes

Small shaving mirror - works for signalling passing ships/planes and for starting fires

25lt container of water - crucial for survival - can be refilled with rain water
Fishing line and tackle - for food
Box of emergency rations - same

Lea

Banned
You might be surprised to find out Diarrhoea can be deadly. It's a big killer still in a lot of third world countries. It dehydrates you so bad which is obviously an issue if you don't have constant assess to clean water.

Linky because I know you like to read up on stuff

Did You Know that Diarrhea Can Be Very Deadly? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

I imagine myself on a deserted island dying from diarrhoea :D. Anyway thanks for the link, I believe it's true.

If I've been sailing with my friends, and they're not in the life raft (it's specifically empty), and they're not on the list of what I can take, does this mean I'm abandoning my friends?

Nah - life raft is empty so that people don't assume they can include stuff 'hidden' in it. Friends go too (hmmm....possible food supply)

Danfalc

Banned
I imagine myself on a deserted island dying from diarrhoea :D

Yeah not a pleasant way to go huh? ::p: Anyway your welcome I was quite surprised myself when I heard about that, makes you think how much we sometimes take for granted.

N0D

Banned
wouldn't a small shaving mirror be useful to signal ships/planes? i'm the sparkly glint on the horizon fool, come save me!

coyote

wouldn't a small shaving mirror be useful to signal ships/planes? i'm the sparkly glint on the horizon fool, come save me!

yes - these are included in military survival packs for that very reason