Severe stage fright

Whenever I stand on the stage, I feel terribly nervous. I can feel my palms sweaty and cold, sometimes my legs are even shaking. I tried to control my fear but it was useless. I just can't cope stage fright. Even the thought of receiving prize from somebody in a prize-giving ceremony makes me nervous.
Please help me!

Kiwong

You only need to walk across the stage and take the award off the person presenting it to you. It's not necessary to have to say anything. The people in the hall will be only focused on the person, whether family of friends of who is receiving the reward, not you.

When I got my degree I just focused on the person who gave me the degree, and walked off stage.

Go on stage with pride you earnt your graduation.

Joan6466

I can totally sympathize-I was once totally phobic of any stage- it was terrifying. I would get violent migraine headaches and be sick for days. I had to overcome it or quit, so here are a few ideas from someone who has been there. You need a bucket full of techniques because sometimes one method works and another time it won't work, so you need to pull out a different technique. Keep them together in a little notebook, or on your phone. You won't remember them because our memory is impaired when we're frightened. Once I figured out how to quiet the terror I actually began teaching a number of classes on different dimensions of social phobias and anxiety. I thought no one should have to suffer so much being around ones own species!
1. Depedestalize your audience- bring them down. If I was on a tv show I envisioned the audience sitting around talking, yelling at the kids, eating pizza, barely paying any attention to the tv, burping, picking their noses. I did a workshop once for school principals, ( I was terrified of my own principal- these were the authority figures of my childhood...) I pretended they had all just gotten out of psychiatric wards and I was so happy to see them. Of course, that wasn't all- I wore clothes that I was comfortable in, I wrote out every single word I was going to say- I never depended on my impaired memory. Fixed role is another method- I couldn't stand in front of that group- but who do I know who could? I would pretend I was that person- how did they walk, look at people. You see, we have a tool that many people don't have-- a vivid imagination- because we have spent so much time in fantasy rather than reality. Here's another; a broad perspective; what difference is it going to make 100 years from now? People don't have time to scrutinize me- their heads are filled with themselves- their unpaid bills, their constipation, their worries and doubts..
There's also some medication they gave to people who played in orchestras to try- I can't remember any more the name of it- maybe members here can recall it- but it quieted down physiological symptoms. I never tried it because I never did well with meds- I was too allergic. So- there are many more ideas- drop your goals- just get thru it- no criticism even if you fell in the jello........ Cheers to you!

elephant99

With repeated practice, I find doing relaxation exercises like deep breathing help lessen my physical anxiety symptoms. Also try to identify the things you are telling yourself that's making you anxious. Write them down. Challenge them. Be kind to yourself.

Maybe you could try these? good luck with your graduation ceremony.

Metal_isthe_Answer

I did speech class and got through it by reminding myself that no one wanted to do a speech, and no one pays attention. The people at the ceremony are only there for their friends/family, they're not paying attention to anyone else

State_Of_Trance

Just thought I'd echo others' thoughts and add a few of my own.

Often your audience doesn't care to much. This is especially true in a classroom environment. Everyone in the room may be looking at you, but they're all thinking, "OH MAN I HAVE TO GIVE A SPEECH FLSDJFSKFJ." I find that comforting and it'll be similar at your graduation.

Even a shy introvert can become a good speaker. I'm about to graduate college. I gave my first speech about four years ago and I've given plenty since then. It's been quite a journey!

My first one was AWFUL. I literally cried afterwards. My grade was a D. Then I tried super, super hard. I got A's on all my other speeches except the last one which was a B because I went like three minutes overtime but was otherwise perfect. My speech guy congratulated me on becoming so much better.

Since then I've given plenty of speeches in other classes. At my internship I had to go through a speech program. With the exception of essentially one epic fail due to memory (for which my audience was very understanding), it went quite well.

I still hate giving speeches. I still get really nervous every time. But I can do it.

By the way, I hate it when people brag. I'm only saying all of this because I think it'll help. Hope this doesn't seem too brag-y!

From the looks of things, you're not actually giving a speech. So try not to worry!

Last edited: