Self harm - understanders

Jodie-Tyler

Does anyone self harm, whether it's mild to serious, I'd like someone to talk to who can understand or sympathise.
To make sure I am not condoning self harm please just private message me.

Thanks
Jodie

MotherWolff

Banned
Does anyone self harm, whether it's mild to serious, I'd like someone to talk to who can understand or sympathise.
To make sure I am not condoning self harm please just private message me.

Thanks
Jodie

Hi Jodie.

I can understand and sympathise with self-harmers. Although I would consider my past self-harm mild in the face of many others.

I have not done any recently, like in a few months, but I can relate.

I would like to PM you.

sonia

I can understand, I used to harm myself and feel that I am punishing myself for the mistakes I have made. It gives some sort of maochistic pleasure ... Also I like the attention I get when people look at it and sympathize ... Until I feel totally desperate and pathetic about how needy I am ... I have stopppeed hurting myself ... But even today the urge is there

LoyalXenite

I havent cut in over a year (because my partner wouldnt be able to stay with someone who self harms) but I still struggle daily with the need to self harm, I can understand and sympathise and my inbox is always open.

Jodie-Tyler

I can understand, I used to harm myself and feel that I am punishing myself for the mistakes I have made. It gives some sort of maochistic pleasure ... Also I like the attention I get when people look at it and sympathize ... Until I feel totally desperate and pathetic about how needy I am ... I have stopppeed hurting myself ... But even today the urge is there

That's very brave of you to admit that you like the attention, I'm sure there are many who do too but would never admit it. I liked looking at the injuries myself but never showed others, or enjoyed others seeing it. I was thinking the other day the reasons why we do it - I couldnt really pin point a reason. For me it's seconds of relief and then weeks of embarassing and annoying healing. So whats the point?
I havent self harmed since the first time i did it over 2 years ago, but i am now struggerling with depression and the urge is definately there. How do you stop yourself?
x

Whoopdeedoo

Self harm comes in many forms
Drinking/drugging
OverEating/starving
Too much Sleeping/not sleeping
Excessive spending
Putting yourself in negative or dangerous situations

What Im trying now is to pamper and be gentle with myself
As one would a sick friend...
I meditate & pray on the painful situations causes and results
Take responsibility for my part even ifits just that I permitted it
Than i reestablish confortable boundries & limits and if theyre not
respected i avoid the person or situation as if recoiling from a hot flame
Then I focus on me by making a list of things to do
Do What i need to do
Keep it simple and avoid drama
Than I do a me day/spa day
I soak in the tub with lavender epsom salt
Do my nails
Deep condition hair
Apply a facial mask
Do yoga
Light scented candles, incense & oils
Listen to calming , tranquil new age music
Cook a great meal
And veg out to a foreign or independent film or watch a series show
that speaks to my soul or addresses the feelings or situation Im in
It makes me feel that what Im experiencing is the human condition
and that Im not alone
I get lots of rest
Drink water & take vitamins
I must learn to be good to me!!!
Im trying to heal and strengthen and not let the *******s win

Whoopdeedoo

Self harm comes in many forms
Drinking/drugging
OverEating/starving
Too much Sleeping/not sleeping
Excessive spending
Putting yourself in negative or dangerous situations

What Im trying now is to pamper and be gentle with myself
As one would a sick friend...
I meditate & pray on the painful situations causes and results
Take responsibility for my part even ifits just that I permitted it
Than i reestablish confortable boundries & limits and if theyre not
respected i avoid the person or situation as if recoiling from a hot flame
Then I focus on me by making a list of things to do
Do What i need to do
Keep it simple and avoid drama
Than I do a me day/spa day
I soak in the tub with lavender epsom salt
Do my nails
Deep condition hair
Apply a facial mask
Do yoga
Light scented candles, incense & oils
Listen to calming , tranquil new age music
Cook a great meal
And veg out to a foreign or independent film or watch a series show
that speaks to my soul or addresses the feelings or situation Im in
It makes me feel that what Im experiencing is the human condition
and that Im not alone
I get lots of rest
Drink water & take vitamins
I must learn to be good to me!!!
Im trying to heal and strengthen and not let the *******s win

williamreinsch

I was always very against this sort of thing until I really got that low then I understood it totally. I thought to myself i'm going to die in the next few weeks I need something to distract me from this mental pain until I succeed.

I dunno if it's just because i've not been in that mindset for a while or not but I feel like after the first time self harming seeing the reactions of my loved ones just overwhelmed me with guilt. Since then I just try my hardest to not go back down that route for their sakes and I guess very much my own sakes. I don't want to feel that guilt again.

Guilt in that respect is really what keeps me going now. A lesson I only really learnt after self harming. But I could easily go straight back down that route, I don't think it would be particularly wrong of me as I am just human. But i'm trying at least and I now know what that overwhelming guilt feels like.

Guilt is actually quite an important emotion i've realized. It's not all that bad. It can save people too as well as kill.

I've waffled on a bit here but I hope it helps :)

Shant

I had a self-harm period in high school, since with social anxiety, I couldn't cope with depression with drugs (requires knowing people), sex (requires knowing people), drinking (requires knowing people), so... with scissors in my room, it just naturally followed suit. Didn't help when I was in such a dark period of my life where I thought I deserved to bleed, too.

It was such a downward spiral. It gave me anhedonia and I just felt worse and worse each day doing that, and eventually had to do that to feel "normal", all while doing what I could to hide it from my classmates. In the psych ward I had to stop cutting, and succeeded then, but even today I still entertain the idea of wanting to cut myself... before realizing where that would just leave me; even lower than before.

So I understand self-harm. It's a really sad thing to experience.