Seems like nothing changes

Megaten

I usually try to keep a positive outlook on life and bounce back from setbacks. But at times when a low hits, it hits hard, and I start to wonder what the point of even trying to better myself would be. To be honest I dont think my social skills have really improved that much, at least not in the areas where its most important to me. I dont really have much of a social life aside from texting my girlfriend and talking to my parents. But any attempts at friendships with other males seems to bring out so much damn anxiety that I make things awkward and I can see them get uncomfortable. Im too old for this damn crap. I was hoping to have moved past most of this buy now. But it seems like the older you get the more forced and awkward these things become. Now my best bud spends most of his free time with his new buddy and Im left completely out of the loop. Im starting to fail to see the point of even putting anymore effort into this bs.

zharl

Yeah...this stuff is hard man. I have one close friend and one person who is nearing acquaintance status. My social life is pretty stagnant as well. What really determines if it's worth it to keep trying is if you want it. Do you want friends, specifically with other guys? If you find that you don't want that type of relationship, it may not be worth pursuing. Conversely, if you find that you do want that type of friendship, than it is probably worth while to keep at it. *shrugs*

Megaten

Eh I just decided to be done with it. Im too old to be trying to have bros. That stage of my life is done. Its the same with my dad. The only people he does things with is my mom and his brother and law. I dont think he kept in contact with any friends from youth. Maybe thats the way its supposed to be.

I think the thing thats messed me up is being in the military and constantly moving for the past decade. So it was really hard to put down roots, and now Im out of touch with most people I knew before, after coming back. Plus I started dating way too late in life. A lot of guys I know have children now and are in a different stage of life. I still feel like Im in high school for the most part.

Last edited:
I'm 24 now, I used to try hard to be cool and try to be friends with certain people but I gave up on all of that, I have no interest to make male friends anymore. I had "friends" at school, but that's all it was.

Megaten

^Yeah exactly. I'm 33 now so I'm probably well past that stage. Though the guys I went to high school with still get together for drinks and/or street fighter. I usually get left out but when I ask people are always working. So screw this.

zharl

Eh I just decided to be done with it. Im too old to be trying to have bros. That stage of my life is done. Its the same with my dad. The only people he does things with is my mom and his brother and law. I dont think he kept in contact with any friends from youth. Maybe thats the way its supposed to be.

I think the thing thats messed me up is being in the military and constantly moving for the past decade. So it was really hard to put down roots, and now Im out of touch with most people I knew before, after coming back. Plus I started dating way too late in life. A lot of guys I know have children now and are in a different stage of life. I still feel like Im in high school for the most part.

I completely forgot to return to this thread! Sorry about that!

I don't know if you're ever too old to have friends. My step-dad has friends that he's known since he was in single digits--he's 60 now.

HEY WAIT! I've got an idea! I'll be your friend! :D

Megaten

I completely forgot to return to this thread! Sorry about that!

I don't know if you're ever too old to have friends. My step-dad has friends that he's known since he was in single digits--he's 60 now.

HEY WAIT! I've got an idea! I'll be your friend! :D

Thanks, but I mean like in person. So I can get out of the house more often. Most of my friends are online so I literally have to reason to be outside other than to go to class. I'll probably start volunteering again so I don't get shut in.

zharl

XD

I had a feeling that's what you really meant, as I'm trying to do the same thing. Volunteering sounds like a good idea! You'll meet people and you'll do some good!

ryan2022

This is going to sounds cheesy, but life goes through stages and friends come and go. It's said that every several years we transition almost every one out of our lives and replace them....other than of course our family and possible a select few friends.

I've found this as well. There have been times I've felt pretty low, and had it occur to me that I didn't have really any close friends near by. Things always have a way of coming back around and new friendships develop....and I'd bet I'm older than you.

Also, as far as social skills go, YOU notice that more than anyone else. I have a good friend of mine who is socially awkward and really quiet....he's an awesome guy and really smart. I'm fairly outgoing and he being quiet and a bit awkward hasn't stopped as at all from having friends.

Go easy on yourself and take life as lightly as you can.

Megaten

This is going to sounds cheesy, but life goes through stages and friends come and go. It's said that every several years we transition almost every one out of our lives and replace them....other than of course our family and possible a select few friends.

I've found this as well. There have been times I've felt pretty low, and had it occur to me that I didn't have really any close friends near by. Things always have a way of coming back around and new friendships develop....and I'd bet I'm older than you.

Also, as far as social skills go, YOU notice that more than anyone else. I have a good friend of mine who is socially awkward and really quiet....he's an awesome guy and really smart. I'm fairly outgoing and he being quiet and a bit awkward hasn't stopped as at all from having friends.

Go easy on yourself and take life as lightly as you can.

I've not heard of that one before. I guess I shouldnt take it so personally that my other friends have moved on. And yeah I do take myself too seriously.