Seeing a Councillor

stevelee24

HEY :)
I have seen councillors in the past short term and i have currently been seeing a new one for about 8 weeks.

Last edited:
People seem to have extremely varied experiences with counselors. Your experience can depend on the counselor's expertise and personality.
In my own experience there can be really good ones and really bad ones. I've seen both kinds. I think even the really good ones can only do so much and then it depends on how bad your situation is for their suggestions/advice to be able to do any good.
If one or two of them don't help you, keep trying (if you can) to find one that at least has a true understanding of what you are going through, other wise it's a waste of time imo.
I hope the next one your seeing has the understanding to enable them to offer you some helpful tools to work on your problem with. Good luck.:)

Sora

Hey, a local! I live in Hartlepool, well not local but quite close to Newcastle!
I've never had one but I am quite stubborn and like to try deal with things on my own. I think if you can figure things out yourself then you get a good feeling from it. Maybes I haven't had anything as serious happen to me as what you have but I like to think of life this way, it was a quote I think it was from Smallville lol but not 100% sure on that so don't quote me haha!

"Life only gives you what it thinks you can handle" probably not correct word for word but it was along those lines. I absolutely loved it and it really helped me when things got tough. Another one I like is "as long as you are breathing there is more right with you than wrong wrong with you" or something. Man I should really look the quotes up to be sure exactly what they are but I hope you get the point of them!

Could I ask what it is that makes you have these attacks or is it too personal for you to talk about openly on here?

Hope you figure it out and can overcome it!

Remus

Staff member
Throw your toys out of the pram a bit, it's a tier system, give them something to flap about and you get moved onto the next tier.

mikebird

Banned
I'm glad this came up.

I never let things lie, and attack problems head-on... a decade & a half before discovering our website, which has been a lot more valuable.

I asked my GP for counselling, who seems to think I'm just fine. I think that is counter-helpful, and terrible to induce a 'don't worry' attitude on a disturbed patient.

He pointed me to all sorts of local people to talk to, starting with those who only deal with those of age 21 or less. It took some prompting from me to get them to help, when I was 25, considering they're meant to be professionals... Generally cheap counsellors are useless, eg, Samaritans or for some fee... I found better ones myself

Best luck was with a part-donation, part... dunno.... organisation, who saw me weekly for nothing for a few months but after feeling guilty about it , I then surrendered £35 each time. Got nowhere. The kind of advice I would offer to myself, in the event of a day going wrong, thinking how to avoid letting something happen again. I don't want to be told obvious things I already know. It felt like eating pub food which I'd make at home.

Possibly my worst attribute could be to interrupt too much, and not listen. I could do with being told to listen in a military matter, which was always the opposite of my parents. A talking-only councillor might be just what I need. Maybe not possible to change that after a certain age

Last edited: