Scratches on New Blu-ray Discs?

State_Of_Trance

Just got an expensive "new" Blu-ray show but the some of the disks are a little scratched. That said, the discs are perfectly readable so far. Of course I only checked a few minutes worth of each disk. I'd hate going to the trouble of returning, assuming the seller would even accept it. Still, I paid a lot of money for ugly discs!

So I confirmed that each disc is readable, but is it likely that some episodes won't work? I mean I can't just check the whole show overnight!

Assuming that all content will work as of now, can I assume that everything will continue to work as long as I don't scratch the discs further?

Thanks. Stupid third-party Amazon seller!

EDIT: Here are pics. Ignore the two middle ones. The first and last however, are this one disc with scratches. Looking back on them, the others are not TOO bad...But that one is somewhat nasty. Also the pics are lo res, it looks worse irl.

Last edited:

dannyboy65

Blu-ray discs are actually very reliable in order to actually hurt them you would have to bring steel wool to them if they are just small scratches I wouldn't worry to much :)

THeCARS1979

Just got an expensive "new" Blu-ray show but the some of the disks are a little scratched. That said, the discs are perfectly readable so far. Of course I only checked a few minutes worth of each disk. I'd hate going to the trouble of returning, assuming the seller would even accept it. Still, I paid a lot of money for ugly discs!

So I confirmed that each disc is readable, but is it likely that some episodes won't work? I mean I can't just check the whole show overnight!

Assuming that all content will work as of now, can I assume that everything will continue to work as long as I don't scratch the discs further?

Thanks. Stupid third-party Amazon seller!

blueray disks are durable and can take the scratches but I never ever buy anything used. I ll buy from amazon but I make sure it comes from Amazon. I just don't like used electronics.

Last edited:

State_Of_Trance

Blu-ray discs are actually very reliable in order to actually hurt them you would have to bring steel wool to them if they are just small scratches I wouldn't worry to much :)

I've heard that, but this was supposedly never before opened. It even had the plastic over it! So is it possible he re-sealed it?

In general I wouldn't worry too much...Accept that...Snap, I didn't want to confess, but I paid $129.00 (it's anime, okay? Really expensive stuff) for it plus $15.00 for two day shipping. So given that kind of money, I'm a little disappointed even though the scratches might not be a problem.

blueray disks are durable and can take the scratches but I never ever buy anything used. I ll buy from amazon but I make sure it comes from Amazon. I just don't like used electronics.

Thing is, I bought this new! Again, even had the plastic over it. So given that it was new PLUS how expensive it was I'm a little disturbed.

dannyboy65

I've heard that, but this was supposedly never before opened. It even had the plastic over it! So is it possible he re-sealed it?

In general I wouldn't worry too much...Accept that...Snap, I didn't want to confess, but I paid $129.00 (it's anime, okay? Really expensive stuff) for it plus $15.00 for two day shipping. So given that kind of money, I'm a little disappointed even though the scratches might not be a problem.

I know what you mean if I bought something that expensive and didn't get it mint I'd be upset too.