School Work and Study Assistance

Sinar_Matahari

It has been brought to my attention that the members of this forum could greatly benefit from a thread (or separate threads for separate school subjects) where they could get help with their school work. We have members who are students and due to the nature of their condition, they may not ask for assistance from their teachers and peers. Furthermore, there are many smart people here who could use their knowledge and skills to help other members succeed academically. So here is our chance to help make life a little easier for our fellow social phobes! :)

I welcome any helpful suggestions that you guys may have. I can't promise that we'll be able to apply all of your ideas, but they will nonetheless be appreciated and taken into consideration.

Serafina

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/math-help-30600/

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/science-help-30601/#post383185

Last edited:

Snowdrop

This is a great idea :)
I do find it a bit hard to ask my teachers for help as I'm scared I'll sound stupid. But it's not only that that I think this thread could be a great benefit, it's because a lot of people who suffer SA find it even more difficult than others to think of new ideas, be imaginitive and just concentrate on work in general (or at least that's what I'm like), so this could be a great help, for inspiration etc.

ikbenrifi

It's a brilliant idea !
In doing so, we'll encourage each other so much, i encouter so much difficulties in maths, i do physics at college and i'm ready to help anyone i much as i understand

Sinar_Matahari

This is a great idea :)
I do find it a bit hard to ask my teachers for help as I'm scared I'll sound stupid. But it's not only that that I think this thread could be a great benefit, it's because a lot of people who suffer SA find it even more difficult than others to think of new ideas, be imaginitive and just concentrate on work in general (or at least that's what I'm like), so this could be a great help, for inspiration etc.

Snowdrop, I myself have always had a problem asking for help out of fear of appearing stupid or weak.

I'm happy to know that you guys are enthusiastic about this. Feel free to add your ideas.

Solitudes_Grace

I see there is a thread for science already, but it seems to focus on the natural sciences. I wonder if a separate thread for the social and behavioral sciences would be helpful for people. I guess any questions regarding sociology, psychology, geography, anthropology, economics, and political science could be asked there. I think history is considered a social science as well. It might be worth considering. I don't know if anyone would use it.

Last edited:

Snowdrop

I don't suppose anyone could try to help with an art project? ::(: I'm just completely stuck on motivation and ideas...

Snowdrop

Thanks for replying, well the deal is:

It's a Fine Art project based on the Body. It is very open so you can do anything you want (drawing, sculpting, photography etc.) but I'd rather draw.
As long as it follows the brief:

we were given a quote to start us off

"I touch my body. It still obeys me. It fulfills orders efficiently without resistance. The muscles move wisely. When needed they raise my hand, move my fingers. When needed I lower and raise my eyelids. I move my tongue. Under the skin the flesh is precisely shaped. Springly. Everywhere in the wholly enclosed porous skin covering - pulsation. All uniformly heated, saturate with moisture, thick with red juice, white mucus, jelly-like secretions, all stretched bones. Inside them, canals intertwined with nets and threads, soft and fragile. Hot, greasy, it belongs to me. It causes to be me."

It basically describes the visceral (instinctual) aspects of inhabiting a body, emphasising the sense of wonder at the complexity and sheer physicality of the substance of the body.

I need to explore and exploit characteristics in response to specific qualities observed in the body. I just think the whole brief is complicated in general.
So as long as it's vaguely connected to the body and this quote, I'm ok; I've decided to focus on the idea of 'perfection' and self-image, emotion, subtopics like that. But I am just really stuck and unsure of what my final outcome could be. I don't know how to link perfection with the quote.
Or if anyone has any other ideas about what could I produce as a final idea (preferably drawing(s)) for this please suggest it.

Oh, and it is very open, I just can't think of anything that isn't cliche or already done. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sorry if it's very confusing :S Thanks so much :)

An immediate thought I had was how would someone with a physical disability think about this quote? - with that thought out I will think on....:)

Snowdrop

I've got a good idea for my final outcome now, all of your answers helped particularly the idea of being disabled :D

On another note - can anyone think of anything in the world that has been genetically modified? On top of fine art, I have to create an illustration front cover for a science magazine, and the subtitle is "Life in Our Hands". It's all about genetic modification. Would be great if you could think of anything else. Thank you! :)

So far I've got:

Animals
Plants/Flowers/Grains, corn
Food (fruits)

Last edited:
Bioluminescent pets – A glowing debate | Witness This
"GloFish sparks debate
Pet stores in the United States have been under the spotlight since 2004 over the sale of genetically-modified fish that glow in the dark. Sold under the name GloFish, these creatures carry a lofty claim to fame: they are the nation’s first officially sanctioned genetically-modified pet, and scientists say that they won’t be the last.

The GloFish is a zebra danio that is made to glow red by the insertion of a gene found in sea coral. Naturally black and white, the new GloFish has gone from curiosity to a focal point in the debate over biotechnology."

GloFish® Fluorescent Fish Home Page

glofish1.jpg

I heard that some of the things we eat are genetically modified. Chicken, corn and probably lots of other stuff.

CBORDINO

Ions

How can you tell if a element has a positive or negative ion? What do these have?

Neon
Zinc
Krypton
Antiomy
Radon

If you were to describe the above with the following statements which ones would go with which element? Could you explain to me why so I can understand.

A positive ion
A negative ion
A neutral atom of a metal
A neutral atom of a non-metal
A neutral atom of a semi-metal

Pls help its driving me mad.