SA sufferers may lack empathy

Zaki

A lack of empathy is something I definitely don't have. If anything, I may have too much empathy. I can't stand to watch anyone suffer and I try to help people who are in need whenever I can. If I have offended someone unintentionally or even feel like I may have, it'll stay on my mind for a while and bother me. Anxiety aside, I tend to hold back in my interactions with others because I'm always trying to consider how someone might feel if I do this or say that. Seeing people cry, even if they're acting, is enough to make me shed a tear. My sister used to get annoyed watching shows and movies with me because I would cry when actors cried. She'd be like "why are you crying?" I'd be like "how are you not crying right now? It's so sad. She's hurting." I'm a person of great sensitivity, which I consider a gift and a curse - a curse because I tend to take things personally and I don't have very thick skin; a gift because I'm very compassionate and caring, so much so that I just might have saved a few lives.

Bronson99

A lack of empathy need not be associated with narcissism exclusively. It is also frequently associated with the developmental disorders (autism, Asperger's, and AD/HD are all under this umbrella.)

I have ADD and some traits that resemble Asperger's. I think what I have is high sympathy/compassion (if this is the aspect that is purely emotional, and does not imply action/reciprocity?), but either very low, or very inconsistent, empathy. Generally I will not help others if I don't have to.. it is not a malicious response in most cases, it's an apathetic/disinterested response. I just have no "natural pull" to get out there and help others, it is somehow missing with me. This does not mean I feel as if I'm "above" those who need help.. it does however mean I tend to be self-interested, and do not want to be disturbed out of my daily routines.

But as far as things like this: if there's someone in a workplace everyone dumps on, I feel for that, I'll be the one person to treat them well. If a horrible disaster happens somewhere, I will share in that pain. If someone is having a laugh at someone else's looks or disability, I will try to correct their thinking.

The problem is pretty much 1) no reciprocity 2) inaction. I don't do what is expected, and I tend not to get out there and help, because simply it's just not on my mind. Of course, this causes serious problems. It's not a quality anyone should seek to emulate!

Steiner

Well, without wanting to be offensive, what you have described sounds more like narcissism. There was one person on this site who ascribed SA to realizing that she was a narcissist; in her case one caused the other.

I tend to agree with it when I look at myself and see that my SA came from narcissism and OCD tendencies.

StandingJelly

What I noticed about myself when I had SA was that I thought everyone else had their life together. It wasn't until I made a best friend that I realized that everyone has insecurities. I also had a solipsistic view of the world. I thought my parents were just robots built to serve my needs. I thought cashiers were the same. I could not make the connection that everyone has a life history just like me, of ups and downs. Everyone else is a human being just like me. Realizing that my fear of people turned into empathy.

Sorry for asking if this is very wrong, but do you happen to have been diagnosed as a sociopath? Those thoughts you had thought were truly lacking in empathy. I actually think I have too much empathy, that life would be easier if I didn't care as much.

Anyway, empathy can be learnt, so you may be learning this emotion right now.

Bronson99

Sorry for asking if this is very wrong, but do you happen to have been diagnosed as a sociopath? Those thoughts you had thought were truly lacking in empathy. I actually think I have too much empathy, that life would be easier if I didn't care as much.

Anyway, empathy can be learnt, so you may be learning this emotion right now.

I think it's the wrong thing to ask him.

Read my post above this, I think the OP has the exact same thing. I'm not a sociopath, at least. I do have traits of narcissism but to those who think narcissism *causes* Social Anxiety? Total BS. I believe it's far more likely narcissism results from social anxiety.

Lack of empathy is certainly something I do not have; In fact I am like "living for people"... always trying to get into people's heads to predict what they might think of me if I do this or that , that's like extreme kindness , because your subconscious is somehow telling you "be nice to people if you want them to be nice to you in return".

I don't know how it is for you guys.... but for me this kind of behaviour has its drawbacks, from my personal experience I can count : irritability for trivial things, holding grudges for even the slightest thing and not letting it go until the "offender" apologizes , not thinking about your well-being in the first place.

The worst of all are people taking advantage of your kindness to screw you over, that's just pure wickedness, and I would hold a grudge for life on this sort of people.

so no, SA sufferers may lack empathy.....not :)

Last edited: