sa/mental retardation

toto

Do you think that social anxiety and mental retardation are connected in some way? The signs of mental retardation 1. Delays in oral language development 2. Deficits in memory skills 3. Difficulty learning social rules 4.Difficulty with problem solving skills5. Delays in the development of adaptive behaviors such as self-help or self-care skills6. Lack of social inhibitors.Or do you think that sa is caused by 1. Genes. Researchers are seeking out specific genes that play a role in anxiety and fear. Social anxiety disorder seems to run in families. But it's not clear whether that hereditary component is related to genetics or to anxious behavior you learn from other family members. 2. Biochemistry. Researchers are exploring the idea that natural chemicals in your body may play a role in social anxiety disorder. For instance, an imbalance in the brain chemical serotonin could be a factor. Serotonin, a neurotransmitter, helps regulate mood and emotions, among other things. People with social anxiety disorder may be extra-sensitive to the effects of serotonin. 3. Fear responses. Some research suggests that a structure in the brain called the amygdala may play a role in controlling the fear response. People who have an overactive amygdala may have a heightened fear response, causing increased anxiety in social situations.

Social retardation perhaps- although SA isn't always something you're born with- for a few it develops later in life, or doesn't really seem apparent until adolescence or early adulthood- it can be brought on by certain events/circumstances, and maybe there is something in the genes or brain that makes people more vulnerable to developing SA.

lyricalliaisons

Absolutely not. Social anxiety can be linked to other conditions.... but it's not related to mental retardation in the least.

Bread House

uhhmmm... NO!!!!!!!!!

There is no "delay" "deficiency". There's a big different between knowing something, but not being sure how to act on it because it's being impaired by the response of fear or whatnot etc etc, and just not knowing it at all.

Jo1991

I know this is totally not irrelevant but where did you get your nickname from? I am from Latin America and in my parent's country, the word TOTO, means vagina lol. Funny i know, but i am just really curious.