SA exercise

Mrnobody

Hey guys, first post in the AvPD forums. My name is Nathan and i've been diagnosed with AvPD, OCD, and schizotypal personality disorder. Anyways, when i was at my psychologist appointment today he gave me an interesting little exercise to work on for social skills. I'm supposed to say hello to 10-20 strangers a day and keep track of how many people respond positively, negatively, or neutrally. Now while thinking about doing this scares me outta my mind i think i'm going to try it and keep you guys updated! I also invite everyone else to try it and post their results if they so wish.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, new to the forums =\ )

gardnerj

why don't you just say hi to them and ditch the recordkeeping? The answer to a problem like this is not keeping tallies of every little detail that happens. This is only going to make it worse.

Identify the source of the problem, not the symptoms.

Jake123

Banned
Tell your doctor that's a good way to make 10-20 people per day think you're creepy.

(I wouldn't dare do that, at least not in Miami)

agoraphobickatie

welcome mrnobody! good luck with your assignment! keep in mind that none of these people are your psychologist, even though i guess some people think they are? :) if he/she told you to do that, there must be a reason to do so... i don't always get why i have to do certain 'assignments' but i usually end up going back and it all kind of comes together when we talk it through... best wishes bud! :)

gardnerj

welcome mrnobody! good luck with your assignment! keep in mind that none of these people are your psychologist, even though i guess some people think they are? :) if he/she told you to do that, there must be a reason to do so... i don't always get why i have to do certain 'assignments' but i usually end up going back and it all kind of comes together when we talk it through... best wishes bud! :)

that's true, but think about it -- Psychologists are wrong sometimes right? They know more than you, but does that mean you don't know some things they don't? I think they make us focus a lot on our problems rather than the solutions. Why not just say hi to one person, take pride in it, and be done with it, instead of making mathematical tables and shit? We're emotional beings, not statistics graphs.

agoraphobickatie

that's true, but think about it -- Psychologists are wrong sometimes right? They know more than you, but does that mean you don't know some things they don't? I think they make us focus a lot on our problems rather than the solutions. Why not just say hi to one person, take pride in it, and be done with it, instead of making mathematical tables and shit? We're emotional beings, not statistics graphs.

..mhm, yeah i try not to make generalizations about any doctors in general.. i don't even see a psychologist or some kind of MD, my therapist is just here to help me work through my problems and find my own 'blueprint' or whatever to help me out.. i didn't want an ink blot test, i wanted someone to help me get to the root of my issue and help me out.... and that's my experience, i know everyone has their own, but like i said... you (nor i) aren't the one psychologically analyzing the guy, nor have we met or sat and talked to him, i'm pretty sure if he was assigned something to do, it wasn't just for the hell of it.... who knows, maybe writing peoples responses is so that when they meet back up, he can discuss the positives/negatives and if in retrospect he really even cares/was affected by the negative responses....

reslo

i think the record keeping is a good idea- it helps to be objective. I tend personally tend to beat myself up over how i interact with people, I'm not always quite sure if it's irrational or not, (like sometimes it's over small details). It's important to see if there is a relationship between what actually happens and how we feel about it. And the therapist can help to say what's ok and what might be irrational.

Keeping tabs is about being committed to helping yourself & the process. And it also gives you a record of your attempts, and it can be something you reflect on and try to improve a little each day- and if lo and behold you have a positive interaction, it's a good thing to look at (because we do tend to overlook our accomplishments). It's important to do things the way your counselor says because if we could do everything right on our own, then we wouldn't have had issues to begin with. And also too, it helps the therapist to know when does the anxiety kick in and what reactions you have (what you feel physically, how you feel emotionally, and what goes through your mind consciously.) and begin the process of tying those reactions into behaviors, and if you become aware of these things specifically, you can start to find ways to change them into something more positive.

(I've started to keep a record to help with my gambling issues (which is heavily related to my anxiety and times when i feel rejected), and for me, every day I don't gamble is a good day, so maybe everyday you can say hi to someone can be a good day?)

An assignment like that would terrify me to the bone. It's like I can't say hi to friends sometimes (like if i see them from afar in a pubic place), let alone strangers (but then again, you wouldn't have to see them again so it might be easier).

I really commend you for being willing to take on the assignment!! Let us know your results! (I think it's important to realize how many people don't run away screaming or freak out.)

And in response to gardnerj, (sorry this is long... you don't have to read it hahaha) that's part of the problem is that we are emotional beings. We need a little bit of detachment from our emotions to see what's really going on, because emotions can distort that image- especially the negative things we feel about ourselves. So sometimes a little flow chart of how things are going is helpful to see. Also too, if you try for 20 people and get 5, that can still be pretty good. If you try for one, and can't get one, at least for me, i'd feel like a total failure... it could make for too much pressure- like i wouldn't be able to stop thinking about all day who i would say hi to, and if i did say hi to someone, then i would immediately retreat back into my shell right afterwards. I think maybe that's the fear- is that we will immediately go into old habits. And if the interaction goes wrong, we only have one thing to base it off of... and we wouldn't know if that was a typical or atypical reaction to us. And hey, if you are able to say hi to a new person each day, let us know how it goes!

(sorry for the fatty post:eek:... i am really not good at being concise... i need to work on that :/)

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Uhh... Your doc seems not to understand that the world is not a happy place full of smiles =/ If a stranger comes randomly to say hello, i will most likely suspect and walk away. People don't go saying hello to every stranger they see. Maybe saying hello to your friends, family, work/school mates, etc would make more sense, those already know you and will know that you are being friendly and not creepy. And seriously... 20 people? Wtf? Isn't that a bit too much for a start?

Jake123

Banned
Uhh... Your doc seems not to understand that the world is not a happy place full of smiles =/ If a stranger comes randomly to say hello, i will most likely suspect and walk away. People don't go saying hello to every stranger they see. Maybe saying hello to your friends, family, work/school mates, etc would make more sense, those already know you and will know that you are being friendly and not creepy. And seriously... 20 people? Wtf? Isn't that a bit too much for a start?

Exactly. It's not therapeutic, it's just weird. Random people aren't outside to await for you to say Hi to them, they're there for a reason. People often fail to realize places like malls, stores, etc. aren't to socialize, they're to do whatever you're there to do... The world isn't full of sunshine and and happiness, most people will be freaked out by a random person coming up to them for absolutely no reason. Not only is it bothersome for people, but it's damaging to the patient's self-esteem.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Exactly. It's not therapeutic, it's just weird. Random people aren't outside to await for you to say Hi to them, they're there for a reason. People often fail to realize places like malls, stores, etc. aren't to socialize, they're to do whatever you're there to do... The world isn't full of sunshine and and happiness, most people will be freaked out by a random person coming up to them for absolutely no reason. Not only is it bothersome for people, but it's damaging to the patient's self-esteem.

Indeed, it's risky to tell a patient to do that... The therapist probably doesn't understand too much. Maybe it's one of these people who tell you to "go out and make friends", maybe he/she thinks that it's fully the patient's problem and outside people has no influence at all. Plus, going and analizing other people's reactions isn't really a wise choice... it will only make things worse. Geez.. i'm starting to believe that no one, not even therapists, understand these things unless they suffer or suffered them.

Mrnobody

Hey guys thanks for all the offerings and posts! Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, lost access to my comp. =( Annnnyyywwaayyysss, I tried the exercise the first couple days on about 2 people each day and got 3 negs and 1 neutral and just couldn't bring myself to do it anymore. =\ All the xanax in the world won't help me be social =( (I have it prescribed, not street bought.)