SA and low self-esteem

wise_wind

Hi guys,

do you think social anxiety is due to largely extreme low self-esteem?

or is low self-esteem just a minor contributing factor to social anxiety?

thank you.

Deco

I think low self esteem is a major contributing factor. If we can't like ourselves, even people who barely know us can see through this and unfortunately, we can end up giving a weird vibe to others. And it can affect other things like body language and show people that we don't feel confortable in social situations.

Imho, the more you try to improve and focus on your qualities and talents, the closer you will be to conquering SA, or at least increasing the chances of attracting people with the same interests to start new friendships.

Zaki

I think low self-esteem can contribute greatly to anxiety, and anxiety can decimate one's self-esteem over time.

Argentum

Maybe in part. I think I'm a good person and don't feel I criticize my own work too harshly, but I feel like people are dangerous and I always have to make just the right moves around them. This is especially true in business where I recognize that people have a lot of power to cause trouble for me.

Worrying about just how to phrase things in order to come off as friendly, wondering if I'm hearing people with thick accents right, etc, is a nightmare even now that the worst of anxiety is over. How much I like myself doesn't matter at all if other people decide they don't like me and won't help me, hire me, or let me just do my own thing.

People in general are a nightmare. If I talk about good grades, I might be hated for making others feel insecure. If I improve a bad habit, people who felt comfortable around me because they shared that bad habit might look at me as an outsider or an enemy. If I don't open up fast enough, I'm denying people the opportunity to get to know me and may come across as suspicious or snobby. I can't win.

Last edited: