SA and depression

Emma03

I was just wondering if anybody has depression/general anxiety in addition to social anxiety? I find it so hard to act enthusiastic while conversing with people, because I often times just feel so numb about everything...it's really hard to act happy when you just feel so...blah. I find it so much easier to talk to people if I feel really good...which isn't that often, and when I do, it usually doesn't last. I think people misread this as me just being disinterested...

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I was just wondering if anybody has depression/general anxiety in addition to social anxiety? I find it so hard to act enthusiastic while conversing with people, because I often times just feel so numb about everything...it's really hard to act happy when you just feel so...blah. I find it so much easier to talk to people if I feel really good...which isn't that often, and when I do, it usually doesn't last. I think people misread this as me just being disinterested...

Yes. My enthusiasm is minuscule as well. If someone tries to talk to me about anything that requires any emotion I feel even more out of place. I would recommend you to go out of your way to smile even when you don't feel like it. One, it makes other people smile and two, as strange as it seems for some reason it kinda makes you feel happier. It may feel weird at first but it will make the enthusiasm a little better.

Emma03

I would recommend you to go out of your way to smile even when you don't feel like it. One, it makes other people smile and two, as strange as it seems for some reason it kinda makes you feel happier. It may feel weird at first but it will make the enthusiasm a little better.

I read that if you smile, chemicals are released that will make you happier. Thanks for the advice :)

lunaticbinge

SA and depression is the absolute worst mental state in my opinion. That's what i'm going trough right now. First of all you have no motivation to do anything, and second, when you actually force yourself to go out and do something everything just freaks you out. It's a terrible way to live.

KiaKaha

Banned
I think the two go hand in hand. Human beings by nature are social creatures. We all need to be loved, and accepted, and to enjoy ourselves with other people. When you have SA you get denied that, which often leads to depression. When your depressed you dont want to even try. Its a just another crappy cycle that denies you(me) happiness. Being misunderstood by others deserves an entire thread all on its own...

Yes, they go together. I think that it starts with anxiety which leads to depression.

I force myself to smile a bit and nod, which gives the impression of being interested. Usually works.

Acegame

Oh Emma this is exactly how i feel when im interacting with people. It makes me feel i dont want to be around people (allthough deep in my heart i really want to be able to be around friends).

For example. I have 2 new roommates who are very nice. They are very open and ask me to eat with them or even go out. But when we are just chatting its so hard for me to be excited in the conversation, or tell a story with excitement. This makes me look very uninterested. I am affraid that sooner or later our contact will worsten and it will be just be greeting eachother and walk away. This for me is the worst part of my SA, because im not able to make friends because of it. And i dont know how to handle it.

Emma03

Thank you everybody for responding and understanding. I wouldn't wish this upon anybody, but it is really comforting to know that I am not alone. Rationally, I know that I'm not the only person in the world dealing with this, but I don't know, sometimes it just feels like everybody else is so happy and whatnot.

Hope everybody has a good day.. :)

sevenroses

I guess SA and depression go hand in hand with one another. I guess social anxiety itself causes you to be depressed. I guess everyone needs a certain amount of social interaction to feel happy. I guess if you don't get enough "people contact" it's only natural to feel sad and lonely. Also your life is more restricted when you avoid a wide variety of social situations which makes you more depressed. So it does make sense that you feel depressed when you have SA. ::(: