Ruined chance

Muka

I signed up to be part of the college magazine, called Noise. I was a few minutes late to the first meeting after getting lost and I couldn't bring myself to enter the room as it looked pretty full.

I e-mailed the person who runs it and explained my social phobia and why I missed that first meeting. A few days later I got an e-mail saying I had demonstrated a lack of commitment with no valid reason. I have been kicked off Noise as a result. Is there anything that can be fine? The 'not a valid reason' is annoying me the most.

Starry

I'd email them again, as it is a valid reason... Provide links to articles about social phobia, especially ones which highlight medically how severe it can be. Explain that it is unfair to dismiss you in such a way and, if you are committed to it, tell them that you are and that you will make extra effort in future. Perhaps suggest they at least allow you back for a trial period.

Lea

Banned
Don´t ever use social phobia as an excuse for anything. They will think you´re kidding them or don´t take the commitment seriously, if not believing it at all/taking it for a lame excuse.

Muka

Lea - Then how do I explain why I didn't go? Surly if I lie or am vague, I will get caught out in the end and it will have the same effect.

Lea

Banned
Yeah, then it´s better to be honest, although it will not have an ideal effect but it´s the lesser of all the evils. I was just yesterday through some of my post with former employers and I cringed reading what I wrote and how openly I admitted what problems I have. They seemed to be understanding, nevertheless didn´t want to employ me any further. Once (with another employer) when I was supposed to return to England on a scheduled date, I was caught in a string of bad luck (the first bus didn´t take me because it was full, so I hitched to our capital city - which is about 1 hour in a car - but didn´t make it in time so I missed the bus to London). While I was there, my tooth started aching terribly - an incredible coincidence which even I wouldn´t believe if someone told me - so I felt in the end quite lucky of missing the bus. Then at home I went to a dentist and the whole procedure had to take several weeks. I explained my employer what happened, but they said they are not employing me anymore, because I let them down :(.

Don´t ever use social phobia as an excuse for anything. They will think you´re kidding them or don´t take the commitment seriously, if not believing it at all/taking it for a lame excuse.

It is sad, but true ::(:

People should really know what SA is, if they do not, they will just throw you out. Or they will listen to you, or research SA and understand it. My school did :)

It's such a shame with companies though (have been there), a broken leg is even better to say then telling them about SA.

¯\(º_o)/¯

I have this issue all the time, many missed opportunities because of SA

But SA,isnt a valid excuse IMO, a part of being an adult is doing somethings you dont want to do. And if you couldnt complete the first step for an organization, how can they be sure you wont do it again, if they need you to complete a task.

It sucks that SA will ruin these opportunities for us, you just need to also see it from their side, even though they wont see it from your