Red itchy hands and peeling after iontophoresis?

laurenzo

Hi there,

Does anyone suffer from red itchy hands and then several weeks of them peeling after iontophoresis sessions?

After trialling a machine from an NHS clinic, all went well. I purchased my own machine, and even on a lower current, i can only manage 1 session now before my hands go completely red and then a few days later start peeling - which lasts for several weeks. Meaning i cannot use the machine, rendering it useless.

I have spoken to Dermatologist, who even asked a couple of experts who could not come up with an answer other than to try swapping the cables round (the polarity) which didn't work.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Thanks

Sprawling

That's an unusual experience unless the current was way too high which you said was not. Did you also do treatment prior at the clinic? If so , what was your results?

Either your machine is defective or you are getting a severe allergic reaction. Sounds like the symptoms of Eczema. I had this sort of thing on my hands that lasted several months and that was years before doing ionto. Do you get little bumps and do your fingers get itchy?

laurenzo

That's an unusual experience unless the current was way too high which you said was not. Did you also do treatment prior at the clinic? If so , what was your results?

Either your machine is defective or you are getting a severe allergic reaction. Sounds like the symptoms of Eczema. I had this sort of thing on my hands that lasted several months and that was years before doing ionto. Do you get little bumps and do your fingers get itchy?

Sometimes i get little bumps that seem to be filled with fluid and it's mainly the palms that get itchy. The treatment at the clinic went fine

Metal_isthe_Answer

I had to look this up and I'm still not entirely sure what it is, but it sounds like it's essentially a chemical bath to get a drug into your system without injection, is that about right?
If so I can say from your description of your hands that the problem sounds like one I used to have. Mine was caused by excessive hand washing (because I worked in food service I had to wash them a lot). If my guess is correct, the problem is that you are constantly (or too frequently) having liquid over your hands causing protective oils to break down and your skin to crack. Reducing the frequency you use this will help.

Sprawling

Definitely look up Eczema. Ionto will most likely exasperate it. You my need to wait till your hands heal before doing ionto treatment. Sounds like just bad timing for you. Are you going through something more stressful in your life that is more than usual?

Hold onto your machine. Once your body calms down you'll be able to resume treatment.