Really need help!

fearfactor11

Oh gosh.. not even sure where to begin. I guess I'll start with 2 1/2 years back while driving and having some sort of panic attack with a racing heart. It landed me in the ER. I was thrown on xanax.. and that was that. After numerous.. and I mean numerous.. MRI's CT's.. a heart cath monitors blood tests for tons of odd diseases.. even sent to a major medical clinic no one can find a cause for my high heart rate. So.. I was told it must be something called IST. Well IMO.. this is BS. It now scares to death to be out in public.. drive or go anywhere... due to these symptoms. The help in my area stinks.. and I remain on a low dose of xanax that barely does the trick. I can't stand this any more. I have 3 small kids.. and a husband that travels all over the world..and I will not leave the house much! What the H *** do I do?

fearfactor11

Just the xanax. I'm very afraid to start an SSRI as I have a fear of medications. Shocked they got me on the xanax. I won't even take a beta blocker scared.. so scared. No one will help me!! I have some inderall just in case I need it.. but never take it. I'm really messed up.. over this. I also have chest wall pain upperback pain.. burning feelings.. and then sometimes the reacing heart.. they are trying to tell me this is anxeity. I dont by it!!

GoBlue72

Fearfactor,

I've met many people who were very anti-medication for one reason or another, and others who refused to ever not be on them. It's a difficult thing, I know. I've pretty much taken one SSRI or another for 20 years or so. From my perspective, the one time I tried being taken off medications my anxiety symptoms remained in addition to all the physical ailments stemming from my anxiety(stomach problems, etc.) For me it helped to realize that so many people take medications for one thing or another, whether it's supplements for athletes, insulin for diabetics, or even people self-medicating with marijuana or alcohol. It's just in a different form for each case, and might have less or not as many side effects.

As far as the anxiety and fears, I was helped by going to a weekly CBT group with other agorapobics/panic sufferers, while seeing a therapist and taking medications. It helped me get my thoughts out on the table, get some regulation of my symptoms, and learn more about what I was experiencing.

panicsurvivor

Hi welcome to the forums. You sound like you have a panic disorder. Everything is snowballing isn't. You are feeling like there is no way out, and that every corner you round there is something else waiting. I know how you feel. In the words of Roy Batty from the movie Blade Runner, "Quite an expieriance to live in fear isn't it?"
I haven't met you in person but it really does sound like a panic disorder. Read up on it. Find a therapist who knows how to deal with panic disorders and talk to them. There is no cure in any medications I am afraid. But the thing about panic is, it is like a fire. A fire needs oxygen and combustuble materials, in other words it needs to be fed. Panic is like that. The more you feed it the stronger it grows. I have spent so much of my time thinking about panic attacks and waiting for the next one to happen, that at times I have let my life slip by. First and foremost you have to accept that you are having one. Don't try to run away from it or think of a way to avoid it. Just accept it, breathe deeply while you do. I try to think of it as a physical pain. This makes it a lot easier for me as I feel I am capaple of taking physical pain well.
Please PM if you need someone to talk to. I have three little kids too. So I know how you are feeling in more ways than one. You can get through this!!
I will help you in any way that I can.