Reality when job hunting...

nicole1

To begin on a positive note, I may have a job! I'll find out next week. It went really well and they were happy to meet with me because of the skills I have in journalism, as a student, and as a receptionist. I felt wanted professionally and that's a very good, reassuring feeling.

The bad part is every time I go into an interview I feel so scared that my anxiety will get in the way and I'll mess everything up with my weird ticks and shakes and such. I feel like that for this one. I was up front about having a social problem. I hope it didn't come off weird. I also let her know that I'm more than GREAT for the position, even if I felt scared about it al

I want to get along with everyone and do well...but my damn anxiety will get in the way. I hope I can shake it off and just do my darn job. :sad:

Diend

One way to take it is to not be afraid of being let go. It might make you less self-conscious.

mikebird

Banned
257 interviews attempted since 2004. Some success

Yesterday, just like most, I feel I'm "invited" and regretting it afterwards

My confidence has improved dramatically over years but no idea if I should bubbly & outgoing with a kiss on both cheeks after a handshake. Stern eye contact, divided between each person. No stare away into a corner. Acting extremely happy. First 10 seconds I know they wish we hadn't met.

Exit is a gay beaming smile from them, big handshake... mine is very firm. Some seem a bit 'ouch' As they end, I extend my conversation a bit. Down the stairs, to the gate... I tend to have more to say. Everything begins with their simple 'how was my journey'? On exit, I like to big-up the travel and say I enjoyed it, however the distance... 10 minutes' walk, or 60+ minutes drive

Days later, as with all boring, normal, mainstream people, they tell me they found someone else with more all-round skills, etc. I never get to know if the interviewer(s.........) know anything at all about the position they want to fill, OR they know MUCH more than the candidate. Same, of course, for the recruiter agent involved. No clue. Put Arnold Schwarzenegger on Reception of a dentist firm with only one dentist. He might not hear a word, after his experience of miniguns

mikebird

Banned
That's great! I hope you land that job!

Now, this is absolutely what EVERYBODY SAYS before or after landing an interview, from friends, family, agencies, the employer and colleagues
:):):):)

The sentence makes me want to tense up, grab by throat and batter the skull repeatedly against to walls and floor until movement stops

nicole1

Now, this is absolutely what EVERYBODY SAYS before or after landing an interview, from friends, family, agencies, the employer and colleagues
:):):):)

The sentence makes me want to tense up, grab by throat and batter the skull repeatedly against to walls and floor until movement stops

Have you never had a job since 2004? And what jobs are you applying for? Do you have the skills for them?