Quit my job?

NP88

Well Im at the point where going to work is too stressfull. Not because of the job (which is easy) but because I can't seem to cope with being around people. I work as a contractor and have to spend lots of time around people. I cant get the nerve to call for a ride from one of the other workers.. then the ride itself would be terrible...Im considering calling a taxi which would make me look stupid and cost me 66$ I dont know if its worth it to stay with this company. I feel worse when I come home at the end of the day which is never a good thing. I cant get into work tommorrow, ill probably be fired. I know this is ridiculous. I just started back last week after a layoff... I dont have any bills to pay but its important I be working. I have no savings. I live with family. My dad got me this job he would be hurt if I quit. I dont want to do that to him or myself. I just dont know what to do I feel so trapped. Everyone would look at me as if I were stupid and lazy if I quit.... :( does anyone have any advice?

NP88

Ive tried meds on a few occasions when I was younger. Didnt help things. There will be no job for me after a week off :( . I can get by without a job at the moment though just barely and at a greatly reduced quality of life... I feel like Im complaining about such a stupid problem. Though to me it feels extrordinarily important, even though I know it isnt.

Lccska

I know my anxiety increases with stress. I try turning my thoughts around and tell myself I'm there because I choose to be. I may choose to quit tomorrow, but I'm here today. And then I take it 1 day at a time until my anxiety decreases and I can make wise choices instead of spur of the moment, anxiety produced, dumb moves. It takes my anxiety down a notch.

LazyHermitCrab

Try to stay as long as you can like a four month goal? You can put it on your resume and then move on with another job? :(

coyote

I know my anxiety increases with stress. I try turning my thoughts around and tell myself I'm there because I choose to be. I may choose to quit tomorrow, but I'm here today. And then I take it 1 day at a time until my anxiety decreases and I can make wise choices instead of spur of the moment, anxiety produced, dumb moves. It takes my anxiety down a notch.

this

Try to stay as long as you can like a four month goal? You can put it on your resume and then move on with another job? :(

and this

take each day at a time

and work at creating other options for yourself - so you don't feel trapped and make a bad move just to escape

move forward - work at putting yourself in a more favorable position rather than a worse one

NP88

Thank you all for you posts. I did end up quitting, if you call being MIA from the jobsite until you get fired quitting. The town I lived in really got to me, plus the work. I moved yesterday on a whim. Tried joining the army, need to wait 6 months now. Yeah I am an idiot. Though I do have hope I have goals, Ive begun a training program for strength and cardio. I need to find a job again though... less pressure here: I dont know anyone. The problems of a small town. Epecially if you have SA for me were people finding out. It would kill me somehow... anyway... I am on some kind of track in life hopefully it works out for the best.

goldatom

Ok so you quit. But in the next job, don't feel awkward about calling the taxi (unless you can't afford it). I know it's easy to say but it's not worth caring about what others think. Calling a taxi isn't being retarded like a chimp or something - it's perfectly normal.

NP88

Ok so you quit. But in the next job, don't feel awkward about calling the taxi (unless you can't afford it). I know it's easy to say but it's not worth caring about what others think. Calling a taxi isn't being retarded like a chimp or something - it's perfectly normal.

haha yeah Im slightly more intelligent than a chimp... right ? :p . Yeah I dont mind riding with people. It was just that riding with people Ive known for years. Without anything to talk about any life experiences, the fact that it might come up that I have no friends scared shti sh=t out of me. People who would judge me and could spread this judgement around our small community for whatever reason put huge amounts of pressure on me. I actually enjoy riding with cabbies, they dont judge. Just good conversation. :p

Lccska

What I'm about to say are only the words of experience. Take or leave any part of my thoughts. The problem in my view is that you have now started a pattern. When things get rough......run. It's a hard pattern to break. Plus, once you make the decision not to return the panic leaves and you have peace. That will always be foremost in your thoughts. "How do I get the panic to stop". It seems like a good idea today, but it will follow you. My resume looks like novel, and new employers ask you to explain what happened on the previous job. Just try to slow down and treat the problem not the symptom. Panic is a symptom of a larger problem. I believe that until you treat the actual problem, you are going to keep repeating this pattern.

coyote

What I'm about to say are only the words of experience. Take or leave any part of my thoughts. The problem in my view is that you have now started a pattern. When things get rough......run. It's a hard pattern to break. Plus, once you make the decision not to return the panic leaves and you have peace. That will always be foremost in your thoughts. "How do I get the panic to stop". It seems like a good idea today, but it will follow you. My resume looks like novel, and new employers ask you to explain what happened on the previous job. Just try to slow down and treat the problem not the symptom. Panic is a symptom of a larger problem. I believe that until you treat the actual problem, you are going to keep repeating this pattern.

this is profound

Word. I made this mistake. I ran immediately from my last job when the panic took over and I feel like I can't stop running now.

NP88

I know this Lccska. I just seem unable to develop and maintain coping skills. I see no other option other then to run sometimes. A very terrible cycle indeed. This isnt the first time Ive done something like this. Actually every job Ive ever had I quit partly due to the stresses of SA. I wish I could fix it, I just often see no hope in the current situation and have to get out one way or the other. It always puts me in a worse position in life and only gives temporary relief. Can I ask what kind of things bother you at work? For me it was having to be around the same people for long periods of time who I always felt lesser to as I have no real social life. I feel judged. Left out. Awkward. Terrified that someone will find out I have SA and no friends and treat me like I am handicapped or stupid. It never seems to get better no matter what I do.

Lccska

Unfortunately I don't have the same type problems you do. I'm a very confident person. I'm a great Nurse. Self esteem isn't an issue. Avoidance is. I quit my last job after the only other Nurse in the clinic kept giving me a hard time. Rather than face the music, I bolted yet again. So....knowing I repeat this same scenario over and over, I'm going back into therapy. I've been on medication for years. The meds help tremendously, but they don't change my thought patterns. I don't believe you can ever know too much about yourself, or learn too many new coping mechanisms. Life is a journey. I'm on yet another adventure! I have Health Insurance. If you don't, go to the local Mental Health Center.
One more thing. I'm 51 years old. I have very long periods were my life is great. Don't think because this "older woman" can't get it together, that you are going to spend the rest of your life fighting this illness. I've got it together! If it wasn't for the bad times you wouldn't know when you were having the good times. And life will ALWAYS throw you curve balls. You just have to accept that. And then learn what to do when you get a curve ball. I wouldn't change a thing about my life. It made me the person I am today. That's not to say I'd want to go back and relive everything either. My mantra is "no regrets". There's no since in beating yourself to death over your mistakes. And you will absolutely make mistakes. That's how we learn.