Q for meditation ?

Bo592

Hello it me again I been noticing some threads on meditation been popping up again. So I thought what better time start asking question about what would trouble me in the past when I would try to learn how to meditate. I have tried meditation before but did not get result like everybody else say they got. So I have question about what I felt derail me when I tried meditation.

1. Do you need to be healthy for meditation ?

I find that I would have trouble following along with the breathing excercise. is there a certain tape of food you should be eating or not eating to do this excercise. I would sometime feel like I am running out of breath when giving it a try.

2. what time should I do it ?

is there a certain recommended time on when you should try this. should it be in the morning when I am getting ready to start my day. Or should it be in the night when I am getting ready for bed and going to dream. how long should you a least do it ?

3. How to avoid distractions ?

I notice when I tried meditation I would have problem going in where My body would get itchy and I would have to break my trans to scratch it. also when I feel like I am getting close I would get something like a phone ring or someone at my door. I also struggle a lot keep my tought in focus as my mind with a force of habit would start thinking of everyday problems that I would have to do today which pull me out of trans.

4. How will this help me socialize better ?

You know this is about getting over social phobia or anxiety . There is more to this problem then just being afraid. This is not simply like getting over fear of spiders , mice and close in spaces. A lot of people here has a goal of wanting to socialize with people and interact with them more So they can do every day things. This include getting the right thinking pattern going. our thoughts become our words our opinion and our comments. Is there a certain mind set in this when we are meditating.

5. How will this help me when I am in the social situation ?

o.k so we find are comfort zone and get relax and feel better. But when we go out of our comfort zone and meet the situation that frustrate us and we still get nerves how is this going to be helpful ? Is their a way to maintain these thoughts so we will feel relax or better then normal when we go into our situation that normal frustrate us. Do we have to set up key words to recall our emotion of relaxation back to us.

6. Is this the same as self hypnosis ?

I have tried self hypnosis video before on youtube. is this any way like that or is it different if so in what way is it ?

lily

Hi Bo592, i don't think you need to be healthy to do meditation; afterall, i believe lots of people who look for it aren't healthy. i think the reason you can't breathe is probably b/c you're not alone and you have social anxiety/phobia.
i would recommend a healthy diet for anything especially those things that calm the mind for better results it can cause you to relax better. i would say night time it's better to do it b/c it's calmer and you're getting ready to go to sleep. hmm.. that's interesting, if you get itchy then it's probably working to relax your mind and body and getting rid of toxins. i think you should focus on all the positive things about yourself and situations while meditating and to do it at a time where you won't get distractions.
i also believe that this is not like positive affirmations where you talk out positive things about yourself. it's only a place of solitude where it's just you and your mind being blank actually but you can kind of twist it if it's works but once you go out into the real world it doesn't help w/ interaction. that is my belief. counselling is better for that i believe. i think it is in a way like hypnosis just being in a relaxed state but I'm not the speci@li$t, only replying but you can borrow a book on meditation. good luck!

Last edited:

Sacrament

I'm sure plenty of people with, let's say, asthma, also meditate on a regular basis. If you've suffered from anxiety for a long time, taking deep breaths will seem weird to you because you're not used to using your full lung capacity on a regular basis. Don't forget to use your whole ribcage when you take deep breaths. Also make sure your back is straight, otherwise you're there's less space for your lungs to fill with air. Practice by taking longer and longer breaths until you find a rhythm that works for you.

I'm guessing most people do it in the morning, coupled with physical exercise. It prepares you for the day ahead and helps you stay focused and centered, as well as more relaxed in general. You can also do it before going to bed.

If you're not using anything to meditate with (light white noise), it's harder to stay focused. It's impossible not to have any thoughts while meditating, but the idea is to observe those thoughts without judgment, like leaves on a stream. If you start thinking about your phone ringing, or your door bell, let that thought be and shift your focus back to your breathing. Some people find it easier to imagine some sort of light going in and out of your nostrils while you breathe, filling your lungs and then exhaling a different color.

The purpose of meditating is not to use meditation as a means to achieve other things. If you start meditating and then a week later go home disappointed that you're still as socially anxious as before and that meditation isn't working, you're doing it wrong. In general, meditation will probably help you in almost all aspects of life, because you'll be more present and more in tune with everything that you're doing at any given time. As such, you'll be able to pay more attention to the people you're interacting with because you'll be more present for it.

One of the cool things about meditation is that there's plenty of ways to practice it. If you feel anxious in a social situation, try bringing your attention back to your breathing, and let negative/destructive thoughts come and go without judgment. In time, your productive/non-productive filter will work better and better, and you'll be able to focus more on what really matters.

I think meditation means you're in full control of what's going on, whereas with self-hypnosis you're reprogramming your mind and your thought patterns in order to have a better handle on everyday life.

hardy

Hello it me again I been noticing some threads on meditation been popping up again. So I thought what better time start asking question about what would trouble me in the past when I would try to learn how to meditate. I have tried meditation before but did not get result like everybody else say they got. So I have question about what I felt derail me when I tried meditation.

I find that I would have trouble following along with the breathing excercise. is there a certain tape of food you should be eating or not eating to do this excercise. I would sometime feel like I am running out of breath when giving it a try.

No..Healthy enough to be aware

is there a certain recommended time on when you should try this. should it be in the morning when I am getting ready to start my day. Or should it be in the night when I am getting ready for bed and going to dream. how long should you a least do it ?

Morning is the best

I notice when I tried meditation I would have problem going in where My body would get itchy and I would have to break my trans to scratch it. also when I feel like I am getting close I would get something like a phone ring or someone at my door. I also struggle a lot keep my tought in focus as my mind with a force of habit would start thinking of everyday problems that I would have to do today which pull me out of trans.

I have a personal place for sitting without any distraction

You know this is about getting over social phobia or anxiety . There is more to this problem then just being afraid. This is not simply like getting over fear of spiders , mice and close in spaces. A lot of people here has a goal of wanting to socialize with people and interact with them more So they can do every day things. This include getting the right thinking pattern going. our thoughts become our words our opinion and our comments. Is there a certain mind set in this when we are meditating.

We become less self_ centered

U r aware n will make fewer mistake s n develop better skills over time.

o.k so we find are comfort zone and get relax and feel better. But when we go out of our comfort zone and meet the situation that frustrate us and we still get nerves how is this going to be helpful ? Is their a way to maintain these thoughts so we will feel relax or better then normal when we go into our situation that normal frustrate us. Do we have to set up key words to recall our emotion of relaxation back to us.

Meditation is not about positive thoughts, its being aware and accepting things as they are...What we resist persist. So basically we learn to accept our fear and this is the only way to overcome problems.

I have tried self hypnosis video before on youtube. is this any way like that or is it different if so in what way is it ?

Hypnosis is positive feedback.it helps at the surface level of mind but our problems are deep rooted, we need to understand how mind and uneasy/ unpleasant fearful sensations work and uproot this habit pattern that we are struck with. We are so caught up right now, we need a good meditation experienced teacher who have been working with people facing similar situation. I have been facing similar problem and discuss this with my teacher who is interested in working for me but if you need anything further information please feel free to contact me . Also visit vipassana website to know about this technique and discuss this further with my teacher who has enough experience in this case. Harsha

Last edited: