Public-facing career and successful?

cavegirl

Is there anyone out there who has a public-facing career, or at least one where you have to deal with people directly or give a lot of presentations, yet have been successful? By successful, I mean you have been able to consistently get promoted and climb the ladder, in spite of your sweating? Curious. This has been something that has kept me back career-wise, and I would love to hear any stories from people who have found a way to beat it.

DaveC

Hi

Before I had HH I was nervous to give presentations. At the age of 27 I suddenly got HH. Unfortunately since then my career did not move up as much as I expected. If I have to meet people or present , I have to ensure I have absorbent vest, take probathine , focus on I can do this , meditate and go for it. The positive I spend more time with my family and now not too obsessed with career.

karl:-/

I was very happy in my job then things went tits up. Never the less with my HH and quick thinking I Changed my career. This didn't help although was fun doing it as I couldn't get a job. Despite qualifying with top marks. My HH has totaly held me back since my failed attempts of success as you put it.

It's more just trying to move on with my life. I fight to be on sick benefits due to my SA+HH. All I look for in life is to have what ukchick has,kids,a loving spouse. I don't know her but she sounds so cool about life. So that's my story I guess....

Given up on works goals focusing on life goals instead... I'm not gona miss out on a family due to being hell bent on working knowing I'm going to hate what ever I do because of HH+SA...
Your different cavegirl. Aim and shoots you can achieve the highest mountains only if you try.x

Much love bee. :)

cavegirl

I don't know how different I am, Karl. I've had HH since college and I'm almost 40 now. I've pretty much spent my working life trying to stay out of the spotlight, which means no visibility. I don't really care about the money. I just feel like I haven't accomplished much of anything and it is because of fear. Fear of sweating. Fear of what people think of me sweating. Then an internalized fear of me thinking I can't accomplish anything and be recognized for it, you know? Career change has been on my mind a lot. Just need to do it!

cavegirl

I will also add - I am grateful that I also have a loving spouse and wonderful kids. That part of my life is great. Suppose I should focus on what I have, then what I don't have.

Bustn Justin

I am a store manager and have no idea how I do my job.

After my shift I am so sick of people I just want to be alone.

cubfan4real

Is there anyone out there who has a public-facing career, or at least one where you have to deal with people directly or give a lot of presentations, yet have been successful? By successful, I mean you have been able to consistently get promoted and climb the ladder, in spite of your sweating? Curious. This has been something that has kept me back career-wise, and I would love to hear any stories from people who have found a way to beat it.

Yes, I've managed to have a very successful career (by my standards), even though I've suffered with severe facial/cranial HH since as far back as I can recall. Today I'm 42, and after having spent the last 6+ years in a sales position that required travel around the country, I'm now a Project Manager that oversees flooring installations all over the nation as well.

I still sweat when in front of customers and work parners, sometimes profusely - but I've managed to keep an upward career path for myself since my early 20's after college. It's difficult but it is manageable. This summer has been extremely brutal for me, but I've yet to find anything that helps. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I will be like this forever, or at least until I'm elderly and my skin becomes paper thin.

Sometimes facing reality is far better then running from it.

gg1101

I'm an attorney. Do you know sweating profusely from your face means when you are in front of a judge? It means you are lying. Except, I'm not. I've considered just getting really fat so I could blame it on my weight, but I have always spent a lot of time taking care of myself, so that option is out. I just carry a towel and wipe my face a lot. I always wear a black suit, and a white or dark colored shirt I can sweat through from my armpits that you won't see. Even if I'm wearing a linen suit, I sweat like I may as well be wearing a wool suit. I take glyco every day that I have to go to court, and it helps, but it isn't perfect.

I've found that if someone ever asks about it, just telling them the truth seems to work well. It definitely humanizes me in their eyes, and builds trust.

toshiba88

I'm an attorney. Do you know sweating profusely from your face means when you are in front of a judge? It means you are lying. Except, I'm not. I've considered just getting really fat so I could blame it on my weight, but I have always spent a lot of time taking care of myself, so that option is out. I just carry a towel and wipe my face a lot. I always wear a black suit, and a white or dark colored shirt I can sweat through from my armpits that you won't see. Even if I'm wearing a linen suit, I sweat like I may as well be wearing a wool suit. I take glyco every day that I have to go to court, and it helps, but it isn't perfect.

I've found that if someone ever asks about it, just telling them the truth seems to work well. It definitely humanizes me in their eyes, and builds trust.

im not trying to bring you down but when you said you were considering getting fat to blame the sweating on your weight, i started dying laughing. no reason why. seems like itd be in some kind of sitcom or something lol

toshiba88

all of my uncles have been very successful in real estate over the years. i feel like it is something iw ould love to do but wont becuase of my sweating. and as most of you know, in real estate you deal with clients directly like 90% of the time :(

oolceeoo

I had a computer cubicle job which felt like a prison. I'd be sitting there sweating my butt off no matter what the temperature was in the office. A co-worker would come over to my cube and I'd have to show him something and my keyboard would be soaked! I'd be sitting in meetings dripping, looking around and NO ONE ELSE was sweating, thinking to myself "I'm going crazy! Why is this happening?!?!?! Why am I the only one sweating?!!" over and over again until it was finished and I could get out of there. These meetings sometimes went on for hours. It was a complete nightmare! It was so tormenting I couldn't deal with feeling like a frying hot-dog that I quit a few months ago. Now I'm unemployed and completely lost.

I could never tell anyone I know the real reason why I quit that job.

Fortunately, I saved most of the money I made at that job so I'm living off that right now, but when it runs out...I don't know. A part of me just wants to buy a ticket and live homeless on a beach until I can leave this world behind.

gg1101

im not trying to bring you down but when you said you were considering getting fat to blame the sweating on your weight, i started dying laughing. no reason why. seems like itd be in some kind of sitcom or something lol

Good. I'm glad I could give you a laugh. Getting fat would also probably cost me more money that just getting my whole body Botox'd in Mexico. Nice suits aren't cheap.

Amherst

My job as a professor depends on public speaking, and as much as four hours a day. Since my sweating is worst on my torso, I have bought sutran undershirts (designed for one suffering from compensatory sweating as a result of ETS), and these make it virtually impossible for the sweat to seep through the clothes, even when I feel it gently dribbling down my back and stomach, a truly delightful feeling. The only downside to these: these shirts are so thick and snug that you feel much warmer as a result. But it's a worthy trade-off for several hours in front of a class or conference audience.

Nerves don't typically kick off the sweating for me. An overheated, overcrowded room with no air circulating will, however, particularly if I expend a lot of energy in a futile effort to keep people awake. Most of the time, I'm able to get to the classroom well before the start of class and crank up the a.c.. In the winter, I open the windows. So far, I don't think anyone has noticed a thing, even if I am constantly aware of it.

The reality is that most people's attention spans are short. Most, depending on the time and circumstance, are probably going to be thinking of something a lot more exciting and important to them than us and our sweating. We hold ourselves up to the mirror, but they may not notice a thing. And if they do, they may not even care all that much. Worst case: explain that you have a medical condition (without giving out many details), but one that is not going to make you drop over and die.

gg1101

My job as a professor depends on public speaking, and as much as four hours a day. Since my sweating is worst on my torso, I have bought sutran undershirts (designed for one suffering from compensatory sweating as a result of ETS), and these make it virtually impossible for the sweat to seep through the clothes, even when I feel it gently dribbling down my back and stomach, a truly delightful feeling. The only downside to these: these shirts are so thick and snug that you feel much warmer as a result. But it's a worthy trade-off for several hours in front of a class or conference audience.

Nerves don't typically kick off the sweating for me. An overheated, overcrowded room with no air circulating will, however, particularly if I expend a lot of energy in a futile effort to keep people awake. Most of the time, I'm able to get to the classroom well before the start of class and crank up the a.c.. In the winter, I open the windows. So far, I don't think anyone has noticed a thing, even if I am constantly aware of it.

The reality is that most people's attention spans are short. Most, depending on the time and circumstance, are probably going to be thinking of something a lot more exciting and important to them than us and our sweating. We hold ourselves up to the mirror, but they may not notice a thing. And if they do, they may not even care all that much. Worst case: explain that you have a medical condition (without giving out many details), but one that is not going to make you drop over and die.

How do you like the sutran shirts? I would be very interested in getting some of these, but it doesn't appear that they ship to the US.

SacredClown

I work as a professional stand-up comedian, was fairly well-known on the circuit and was booking big venues and primed for tv work, but since the SP got worse, my career has downgraded hugely. Now i'm back to playing free open-mic gigs in ****hole clubs, which makes me really really depressed.

Oddly enough, I don't have anxiety when i am performing or bantering with the audience (sometimes it freaks me out, but having a mic and being louder and faster than a drunk heckler helps).
My problem is with having to speak to people, colleagues and audience members before the show and right after on a 1-to-1 basis; small talk and worrying about giving a non-offensive opinion or spitting when i talk or them staring at me ...

But now that i know what is causing it, i can chose to take cognative action to try to regain what i had, or at least have the luxury of choice and do something else less stressful.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
I work as a professional stand-up comedian, was fairly well-known on the circuit and was booking big venues and primed for tv work, but since the SP got worse, my career has downgraded hugely. Now i'm back to playing free open-mic gigs in ****hole clubs, which makes me really really depressed. But now that i know what is causing it, i can chose to take cognative action to try to regain what i had, or at least have the luxury of choice and do something else less stressful.

Seems to be quite a lot of people in the comedy profession that have issues and fall out of the limelight. Tony Slattery was one of my favourite stand ups, shame he fell apart. ::(:

SacredClown

Slattery was brilliant. I know a LOT of stand-ups who were once on the telly but are now nowhere to be seen. The industry is really harsh and cold. a lot of comedians end up in iron-clad cliques because of this (usually at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival)

Srijita52

I work as a professional stand-up comedian, was fairly well-known on the circuit and was booking big venues and primed for tv work, but since the SP got worse, my career has downgraded hugely. Now i'm back to playing free open-mic gigs in ****hole clubs, which makes me really really depressed.

Oddly enough, I don't have anxiety when i am performing or bantering with the audience (sometimes it freaks me out, but having a mic and being louder and faster than a drunk heckler helps).
My problem is with having to speak to people, colleagues and audience members before the show and right after on a 1-to-1 basis; small talk and worrying about giving a non-offensive opinion or spitting when i talk or them staring at me ...

But now that i know what is causing it, i can chose to take cognative action to try to regain what i had, or at least have the luxury of choice and do something else less stressful.
I hope you can try and regain what you had. Good luck.